1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Front wheel lug nuts coming loose

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by knnth prnc, Dec 22, 2023.

1. knnth prnc

knnth prnc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 2010 Prius; drivers side front wheel - two of the 5 lug nuts are coming loose after approx. 40 miles driving. I have taken the wheel off and cleaned the bolts; tighten the lug nuts in proper sequence; torque to proper spec but the same two lug nuts come loose. This results in a clunking noise when I back off the accelerator. Also a clunking sound when turning the front wheel. Anbody have any ideas of what I can do? Have considered replacing the front drivers side hub assembly.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mark the lugs and move the nuts around. if the same nuts come loose, replace them. if not, the lugs might be replaceable.
    i wonder if the wheel could be bent, i've never heard of this.

Brian1954 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah this is a pretty good one I don't know what you have going on there that would loosen torqued wheel nuts seriously think about it whether there are mag type or the regular chamferred squeeze type whenever you call them just randomly coming loose I would think not unless there's a problem with the studs actually seeding in the splines of the hub then it could seem like they're coming loose but they actually weren't tightened until this spleen's were locked in place between the stud and the hub but this is a stretch let me tell you really I would have to see pictures of this because Toyota lug nuts are not clad or anything like that they're pretty solid and pretty stout I keep mine with anti seize. I can't imagine my love nuts coming loose on their own from somewhere around 70 ft lb and I know I've had them way looser than that before like in the 45 to 55 range pretty uneventful nothing ever happened that was a long time ago on Old Toyotas four lug 14-in wheels steel. Still no un loosening

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Long shot but: if the hub faces are rusty, wire brush them well. Could be you're torquing down the wheel against a layer of rust. A thin layer of anti-seize is good on the hub faces too.

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Original lug nuts, in good condition? Are the studs still tight in the hub?

I've never had lug nuts work loose in any vehicle, except when they were undertightened by a wide margin (i.e., only "finger-tight"). Long ago, all the lug nuts of one wheel did come loose in a friend's car while I was in it. We assumed that was because the tire shop forgot to tighten the nuts when he'd recently replaced the tire. We were lucky that that didn't cause a wreck.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First, three tight lug nuts will hold the wheel on without “clunking”. I submit none of the lugs were tight and or the wrong lug nuts were used.

If three lug nuts remained tight and torqued to 76 ft-lbs (not in-lbs) then the clunking is more likely from the drive axle cv joints, the struts or other front end parts. The hub bearing would have to be one of those $25 aftermarket units to be the cause.

I once saw a wheel come off a car and hit a motorcyclist. It was not pretty.