1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

front windshield dots

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by B Rad, Jun 22, 2006.

1. B Rad

B Rad New Member

I would like to put a tint strip on the top of my Prius windshield but the installer says it will interfer with whatever those little dots around the rear view mirror and around the windshied are for. I do not have a nav system or Sat Radio, just a basic Pkg#3. So can I put the strip on ? It is legal here in Arizona.

2. upland_bill

upland_bill New Member

I thought those were to partially block the sun around the mirror?

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(upland_bill @ Jun 22 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]275338[/snapback]</div>
    No I don't think so, anyone else??????

4. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(upland_bill @ Jun 22 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]275338[/snapback]</div>

That is exactly what they are for. Window tinters don't like them because the tint tends to bubble up around them a bit and it makes it hard to get the tint to smooth down and look good. Yes, absolutly, you can put tint there. I had one untill I cracked and replaced my windshield, and I'm thinking about getting it put back on. Here in AZ, it's almost a must. If you haven't yet, get the rest of the car tinted too. I used www.azmobiletint.com for mine. He came to me and did 30% on the fronts, 5% on the rest and the windshield strip for about $200.

5. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawkjm73 @ Jun 22 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]275371[/snapback]</div>
    Ok: thanks and my apologys to Upland Bill for my doubts. I guess that since the dots go all the way around the edge of window I was thinking antenna. Guess that is for glare from the pillars.....

6. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 22 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]275364[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, here is someone from priuschat who did tint a six inch strip on the front window.
    Here is how he had it done.
    Click on "mods" and look for the tint mod. Dated 2.22.06
    I hope this helps

http://darelldd.com/ev/prius.htm

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I had a 6" tint strip aded to the top of my windshield and it came out perfect and was no problem at all-and it looks great. Makes a huge difference when driving too. I went with a medium tint, not the Limo style, that was to dark for me. Good luck. Oh one last thing, some tint shops want to make the stip curved so that it kind of swoops down at the ends and some want it to be just a straight strip. Having seen both, I had the straight strip done on mine and it looks better than the curved on in my opinion.

8. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In my 04 Prius the guy that put the tint on cut out around the dots and in the 06 one he installed the strip over the dots. I prefer the installation over the dots because it looks more consistent and blocks more sun.

9. Storz

Storz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check into your state laws before you add tinting. www.tintdude.com I found a detail shop that had a guy come in that uses www.johnsonwindowfilms.com - Silhouette Window Tint. For $210.00 and 11 windows he did a heck of a job. I added the windshield strip at the last minute and glad I did. I had 15% on the back passenger's, hatchback windows, the small triangles, and the windshield strip and had 35% added to driver and front passenger. The car is pretty cool looking now. The strip he added to the windshield he put over the black dots and it took a week or so for the bubbles to dissappear and the tint to adhere to all the spaces, but it was worth it. Also with 15%, it has added a lot more privacy to the contents in the back seat and hatchback area.

Matt

10. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Storz @ Jun 26 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]276971[/snapback]</div>
    I checked and Arizona law says that a front "eyebrow" at the top of the windshield can be 5in. wide or AS1 which I found out means 29 inches up from the top of your seat when pushed all the way back and in the lowest position, then in a horizontal line to the windshield. This gives about a 16 in wide eyebrow on a 06 Prius. I am going for 10 inches and hope for no trouble from the local PD.

11. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 26 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]276995[/snapback]</div>
    When we lived in Las Vegas, I had the darkest legal tint put on my Camry. The brow strip on the front windshield came below the AS1 label. I didn't know the tint was not legal until I moved to Texas and the inspection stations would not pass my car. I ended up holding a thin stip of metal at the AS1 line as a guide and cut the tint along the metal with an exacto knife. I then peeled the lower strip off the windshield and instantly my car was legal in Texas.