1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

front windshield needs repaired/replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tara, Mar 23, 2005.

1. tara

tara New Member

:cry: While driving home from work the other day behind a truck, a rock was thrown into my front windshield and now there is about a 1 inch in diameter star shaped crack on the passenger side. Has anyone else had this happen. I have been told that they can put a little something in the crack and smooth it over. Is this the proper way to repair the windshield? I found out that the front windshield cost over $600 plus installation at the dealer. My insurance says it won't pay for a Toyota windshield and says I have to use an aftermarket glass company or pay the difference. Is there a difference between the glass? I am also worried about the seal and the rear view mirror placement. Is there anything else that I should make sure to check on before I make a decision? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tara

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's possible that the crack can be patched, but not likely, sounds too big.

I would ask your insurance company what after-market glass company makes a windshield for the Prius, and make sure it's made of the HSEA glass.

My guess is none is available.

Your insurance company really doesn't have much choice if there is no non-oem part available.

But, in the meantime, you need to read your insurance policy and see what they say about OEM parts. You may want to consider another insurance provider.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I didn't think they can legally require non-OEM, or where you get the work done. Might want to check with your insurance regulators in your state.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :cry: Sorry to hear about your "stone hit." I had my 04 windshield replaced in Oct 2004 with an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) windshield. The glass company was recommended by my dealer and advised me that other manufacturers could also provide a replacement (I believe he said Pittsburgh Plate); however, I insisted on the Toyota replacement. Be sure the replacement has the "dotted shading" along the upper edge which provides reduction of glare in the areas not covered by the flip-down visors.

Incidentally, your rearview mirror is secured by a ball-joint arm which also provides adjustments up/down/sideways so you can adjust your mirror to your preferences.

Total cost was $734.15 (I paid $100 deductable). I have had no rattles or leaks and it took less than 30 minutes for the replacement. The glass co was also able to preserve my license and inspection stickers.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When we needed to replace the rear window of my wife's van, after it was vandalized, I insisted on OEM as opposed to an aftermarket replacement. I won my battle with the insurance adjuster only to be told by the glass company that the only difference between the OEM and the aftermarket part was in the packaging. I did not believe them until I saw the part with my own eyes.

It may not be the same case with the Prius, but I suspect it is. I doubt there is a sufficient demand for replacement Prius’ windshields, because the car that still is relatively rare, to warrant after market glass makers to go into the trouble of manufacturing a windshield for it.