1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Frontline: The Tank Man

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Nov 26, 2006.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/tankman/

I just saw the above documentary last night (was rerun in my area). It was reasonably good
    but long (almost 1.5 hours). It was about the Tiananmen Square incident, China's economic growth, factory workers' conditions and lack of freedom of press and speech there.

I was really blown away when they showed 4 students in a prestigious Beijing university the infamous "tank man" picture and they were all basically baffled. There was a mention of 1989 but the others had no idea and gave answers of "I have no idea" or "is it a piece of artwork?"

You can apparently watch it online, or if you prefer to watch it on front of a TV instead of a computer, set your PVRs w/an equivalent of an auto-record wishlist. If you're in the SF Bay Area, it's going to be rerun at midnight 11/27.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 26 2006, 01:16 AM) [snapback]354136[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't think that 1.5 hours would allow enough time to do the whole thing justice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 26 2006, 01:16 AM) [snapback]354136[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. That's really disappointing. At least now we know that Rapid Forgetfulness Syndrome (or RFS) is not just an American condition. Looks like the Ministry of Truth is alive and well in China.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for it.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 27 2006, 06:32 AM) [snapback]354404[/snapback]</div>
    You can watch it online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/tankman/view/, but I don't really like watching TV shows or movies sitting in front of my computer.

The part w/the students is under part 6 at the above URL ("6. The Struggle to Control Information").