1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Frozen Wiper Blades

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by baggiebird, Jan 16, 2010.

1. baggiebird

baggiebird New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have recently had a spell of cold weather in the UK, say 3 weeks of zero or sub zero temperatures, OK nothing like parts of Canada or the US:)
    One one particularly cold morning, I was in a hurry to leave for work and did not notice that the passenger side blade was frozen onto the screen. On RHD cars that this is the longer curved arm with the shorter of the two blades.
    On flicking the wiper control to move some frost, the arm moved but the blade did not - result was a distorted arm (slight twist), and distorted blade. Not much, but because of the length of the arm, enough to cause the wiper blade to touch the screen surround when the windscreen wipers were in operation. I am certain that the arm has not been disturbed or removed previously.
    A piece of clever design by Toyota means that (at least on my 2008 model year car) there are small dots of clear glass moulded into the black coating at the base of the screen - to enable the wiper blade and arm to be aligned on each side of the windscreen. I have now re-bent the arm (only a slight twist) and put a new OE blade on it.
    In conclusion, no fault here by Toyota but worth checking that blades are free to move on cold mornings or evenings - before you move off!

1 person likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good advice!

Also, if you expect freezing rain (or a thaw and then a re-freeze), remember to put your wipers up before going to bed.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's interesting to hear advice like that.

I live far enough north that ice on the car is something rarely needed to be concerned about. It's too cold for that here. :rolleyes:

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How does that work? lol. I'm north of you (in both locations) and I can see this situation arising.