1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FS: NEW in package 04-06 Smart Key SOLD!

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by AlphaTeam, Jun 30, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <strike>I thought I lost one of my smart keys last week. So I ordered 2 as a backup. After several days I found it, but after the 2 keys shipped. I would like to sell one. It is still in the bubble wrap never been opened by me. Mechanical key is still uncut. You should be able to take it to your local hardware store and get it cut for you. The smart key will need to be programmed by your dealer. $45 at a local dealer for me. I'll sell it for $175 plus ACTUAL shipping costs to you. You choose your shipping method I'll ship it that way. PM me. I'll be out for the 4th of July holiday, but I'll get to everyone that responds.

I want an extra in case I loose one. I do not want to have to replace the computer if I loose them all.

Price change. I'm pricing this to sell. I don't want to deal with Ebay. $155 out the door. </strike>

It has been sold thanks!

2. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jun 30 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]279049[/snapback]</div>
    Either a smartkey works with 2004-2005 OR 2006. There was a change in the 2006 which renders the new smartkeys incompatible and not interchangeable with the prior years. Likewise 2004-2005 keys will not work with a 2006. There is a thread here on PriusChat to that effect.

Since you bought your spare smartkeys specifically for a 2006, they will only work with a 2006 Prius.

EDIT: See my correction/retraction below.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jun 30 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]279049[/snapback]</div>
    You only need to replace the computer if ALL these are true
    1. You lose all the fobs
    2. You do not have the number on the metal 'tab' that came on 1 fob
    3. You dealer did not record that number
    Just write down the number and toss it (or the metal tab with the number on it) in your safe deposit box.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jun 30 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]279059[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure? The thread I read said that they 04-05 keyfob that came originally with the car will not work with an 06. Sometime in 05 they changed the part and the new one will work with 04-06. I'll try and find the thread.

EDIT: Link
    Here is the thread. It says the 47061 key works both with the 04 AND an 06. The dealer I ordered this from confirmed it works with 04-06.

5. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jun 30 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]279079[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. I gladly stand corrected and am pleased to see that Toyota has made a smartkey available that corrects the incompatibility problem.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious. This quote is from an ebay listing for a smartkey: "THIS MUST BE PROGRAMMED SO WE NOW INCLUDE AN EASY TO FOLLOW PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTION SHEET."

Are these guys crooks, or CAN we program them without paying a dealer? I do seem to remember seeing instructions somewhere about this...but you do have to have an original so could not be done if all of the correctly programmed ones were lost... :blink:

7. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 1 2006, 02:47 AM) [snapback]279607[/snapback]</div>
    Well, not crooks, but those instructions are only for the non-smart key remotes (without keyless start). I can't tell you if they work, but here's the instructions they sell. Send me a buck, OK? ;)

TOYOTA PRIUS 2004-2006

When:
    **Remote transmitter added or replaced.
    **System malfunction.

How:
    (1) Driver’s door open, key removed from ignition switch.
    (2) Within 5 seconds:
    a) Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.
    (3) Within 40 seconds:
    a) Close and open driver’s door twice.
    (4) Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.
    a) Close and open driver’s door twice.
    (5) Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
    (6) Within 40 seconds:
    a) Switch ignition ON and OFF once to program a remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes or twice to program a remote transmitter code whiles erasing the original codes. Three times to check how many remote transmitters are currently registered or five times to erase all registered codes.
    (7) Remove key from ignition switch.
    (8) Within 5 seconds:
    a) System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once, twice, or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four times slowly to indicate number of remote transmitters registered.
    (9) Within 40 seconds:
    a) Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK remote transmitter buttons, together, for 1.5 seconds.
    (10) Within 3 seconds:
    a) Press LOCK remote transmitter button.
    (11) System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once to confirm registration, twice to indicate registration has failed.
    (12) Within 40 seconds:
    a) Repeat button procedure to program remaining remote transmitters.
    NOTE: To exit programming mode: Open driver’s door.
    NOTE: A maximum of 4 remote transmitters can be programmed.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cagemo @ Jul 1 2006, 03:09 AM) [snapback]279611[/snapback]</div>
    You take PayPal? B)
    (And I couldn't handle the disable backup beep instructions--like I could do this--HA!) :blink:

Oh--and this is what the dealers charge $$$$ to do? <_<

Edit: Oops--you did say this doesn't work with the ones that you can keep in your pocket to use, didn't you...? As my kid used to say, Oh dummy me... :eek:

So, if I want a new key that I can keep in my pocket to use, I DO have to pay the dealer, huh? And that DOES make the guy on Ebay less than honest, because that is NOT the impression he gives... :angry:

9. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 1 2006, 04:08 AM) [snapback]279618[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I agree. I paid them $5 for the instructions not realizing they wouldn't work for non-smart remotes. (WHO has a Prius without them!?!) I complained, and they said "piss off". :angry:

I should have known better. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Anyway, now I know - ya really really do have to get the dealer to program smart-key remotes.

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I reduced the price. See my original post

11. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Aug 11 2006, 04:14 AM) [snapback]301399[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Me too! :D See my original post. Buy Alpha's. Then somebody buy mine. Come on...

12. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

I purchased a third key fob off of ebay. The numbers on the inside of the key fob are precisely the same as those on the inside of my two original key fobs. The outsides look identical. Is there a difference in model number etc to determine if it is a 2006 key fob.. thanks

13. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Aug 15 2006, 09:12 AM) [snapback]303460[/snapback]</div>
    There is a difference, but I have no idea how to tell. I guess without knowing the part number from ebay it is hit or miss. GOod luck with it. Hope it works for you and you don't have an old key.