1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Bladder Problem and Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by benjuang, Jun 11, 2010.

1. benjuang

benjuang New Member

First post here. Just wanted to share my experience with the fuel bladder.

I purchased a 2008 Prius from Hertz Rent2Buy (delightfully smooth process) about a month ago. As a result, I was covered by their 2 month / 2,000 mile warranty (thank goodness).

I discovered that after I got the "Add Fuel" warning, I couldn't pump more than 5 gallons into the tank before the pump would click off. After the pump clicks off, the fuel meter would go back to a full 10 bars. Driving it around, I could go almost 200 miles (3-4 gallons * 45-ish mpg) before I'd get the "Add Fuel" warning again. Aside from the really low capacity, the fuel meter seemed to be pretty accurate - the number of bars decreased at what seemed to be a reasonable rate.

Thinking it was a problem with the fuel meter, I ignored the "Add Fuel" warning once, and ended up running completely out of gas - got all the warning lights and managed to cruise on battery to a nearby gas station. Was only able to add 4.7 gallons before the pump clicked off. That seemed really wrong to me, even after reading about the really variable amount of fuel capacity everyone else seems to have complained about.

Brought it into the my local Toyota dealership, and they checked it and told me that the fuel bladder was "collapsing" and the mechanics that inspected it think that fuel might have made its way to the other side of the bladder when someone topped off the tank, effectively reducing the total capacity. Thankfully, I was still under the Hertz-provided warranty, so aside from a $50 deductable, the warranty covered the replacement of the fuel tank and labor costs.

Question:
    I was really happy this was covered under the warranty - I think replacement costs would have been around $300 for labor and $400 for the new tank. Does anyone know of a third party warranty service that might be something I could consider? (I'm not too sure if I'd be covered under the original Toyota warranty - I hadn't had a chance to check.)

Ben

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :welcome:. You are covered by the balance of the original warranties ranging from 3 years/36000 miles to 10 years/150000 depending on your location. If it makes you feel better buy an extended warranty but the chances of it paying off are low. If abuse is going to cause another failure any warranty won't cover it.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's not worth it. Most people get back less than half the purchase price of an extended warranty. Put the money in a bank and let it earn interest for you while waiting for a covered repair that you will most likely never need.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations, you are lucky the Hertz warranty covered it.
    I would think..though not 100% sure you would have any remaining balance of the original manufacturers warranties. You do want to look into that. The 3 year bumper to bumper would probably be close to expiring but you would still have powertrain and hybrid battery coverage...which is longer.

Since you had an issue, and got benefit from an inplace 2nd party warranty (Hertz) it's easy to conclude you want another warranty or extended warranty.

You can investigate...and various entities would be willing to take your money.

Warranties really most often come down to perceived peace of mind of the owner. Whatever you decide, make sure you know EXACTLY what you are actually purchasing. It's not that warranties are bad, it's just that often people pay premiums, and enjoy the peace of mind...but then I've heard too many horror stories that unfold around the premise of "I thought this was covered BUT the warranty company is now saying these parts/damage/breakdown/wear isn't covered". Especially with a hybrid that extends the complexity of the operating system into areas beyond conventional automobiles...just make sure that IF you decide to pay for something...you know for what you are paying. My opinion would be to not trust a spokesperson or salesman, but to ask to read the policy. Because ultimately it will be the policy that enforces either your benefit or denial.

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Extended Warranties just show that "Peace of Mind" has an expensive price tag. Which is going to get more coverage?
    1) The cases where the extended warranty covered a repair.
    2) The cases where the owners saved more money by paying for repairs as they occurred.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I agree. That's why I say, IF you decide to buy an extended warranty be sure you know exactly what you are getting.

I don't however tell people to NOT get an extended warranty, even with my suspicion of them. ( I don't have one )

Because the value of peace of mind...is subjective. Outside of a new car warranty, I'm not so worried about the potential costs of dealing with problems as they occur. For someone else? Paying upfront for a warranty even if it never pays off, might offer peace of mind that makes the premium worth it.

Yes, my ultimate philosophy is to research the car and car company you are buying as much as possible. Try to get the best quality product you can afford, in the best shape you can afford. Then with a little luck...the maintenance costs should be minimal.

With a Toyota Prius under 3 years old? If I felt it was in good shape, I think I personally would just go with it.

While there are things that can go wrong with any automobile that would instantly be cost prohibitive, I agree that in general...and with some degree of luck...Toyota's are perceived to be built well and reliable.

I probably wouldn't pay for an extended warranty...but if I did, I would recommend investigating the warranty itself as much as possible...just like purchasing the car...the warranty should be as informed a purchase as possible.

7. mabordo

mabordo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2008 Prius that I just bought... same thing happening... I have just under 36k miles. I assume they will replace it no charge for me at a dealership?