1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel burn rate while idle with A/C

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bsd43, May 25, 2006.

1. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyone know how many hours per gallon the Prius burns on idle, with only the A/C on? Trying to do some Burning Man planning...

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    A guy here made it through the Katrina parking lot without refueling (until he was out) with his A/C off. That was at least 10 hours of it plus stop-n-go.

You could be able to get a few days out of a full tank of gas.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsd43 @ May 24 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]260750[/snapback]</div>
    Your question might not have a definitive answer. The Prius A/C uses a variable-speed compressor to save energy by providing only the amount of cooling required. This means the amount of energy used per hour depends on the demand on the system. I.e., the heat and humidity of the outside air.

Another complication is that the A/C system is electric. So the engine does not have to be running for the A/C to work. Eventually, gas will be burned to replace that energy, but it makes it a lot harder to measure. Coming down a tall mountain in hot weather, the re-gen would give you free A/C.

I'm guessing if you could put up a "car tent" over the car, to keep the sun off it, you'd burn a lot less gas. FWIW I normally see about 1.5 amps draw when stopped and the engine off, but when I had the A/C on the other day I think it was around 6 or 7 amps. Don't remember for sure. But it's probably a lot hotter at Burning Man than it was here, so maybe you'd draw more amperage. Why not just take the heat as part of the overall experience. There must be a reason they have it in the desert.

OTOH you'll probably burn less gas per hour than folks with conventional cars, since the Prius engine will only have to run long enough to charge the battery, and then can shut off for a while, which is going to be more effecient than running it constantly to keep the A/C going.

4. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I brought my 2004 Prius to Burning Man last year... A couple of times I took naps in the car with the AC on in the afternoon. I wasn't looking too carefully, but it didn't noticeably affect how much gas I had left. As long as you fill up at the last gas station you should be fine even if you use the AC a lot.

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 25 2006, 07:13 AM) [snapback]260868[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I'm not a newbie burner or anything... It's just that every year, when the sun rises in the morning, my tent would get hotter-than-hell after ~9am. Just thinking if sleeping in the car is an option... A big blue tarp is a definite must as a shade over either the car or the tent, but if I had A/C, it'd be that much better. :D

This will be an interesting year on the Playa, with all this rain in the spring...