1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gwnc59a, Mar 26, 2005.

1. gwnc59a

gwnc59a New Member

I am a first-time poster who bought a 2005 Prius a few months ago. I'm not getting great mileage and have many questions about this. Today's question concerns updating mileage on the screen every five minutes. How do I program the screen to do this? Today's Boston Globe did a Prius story and mentioned this as one way to track your fuel consumption and mileage.
    Thanks for your help.

:lol:

2. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

The only thing that I've seen (as a newbie mind you) that is the "consumption" screen. When you're looking at the energy monitor and you press the lower left "consumption" button. This displays information about mpg for every 5 minute interval. On my way to work, I "use" it to see how I'm doing (here in my first week of ownership). Getting out of the neighborhood is about 20 mpg. Once on the parkway, I get about 48 mpg. It validates my consumption relative to driving conditions. On the same screen, you also have the instantaneous mpg reading. This I use as a reminder to let off a bit. E.g. I'm cruising down the parkway and the 20-30 mpg reading reminds me to let it coast and settle into a nice fuel efficient state.

mtc

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there is no way to change it as far as i know.

you only have to be on the consumption screen to see it. if you are on the main display, hit the button in the lower left to toggle between the two displays

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As above, there's nothing to 'program', the consumption screen already has that data. Maybe you've just been looking at the Energy screen.

Also, I wouldn't hang my hat too much on that screen...It can help a bit and give you an idea how you're doing in some situations, but if there's a lot of stop and go or dramatic speed variation it's going to be pretty meaningless.

My Article <-click here was also mentioned in the article and you really should take a look. It'll probably change how you approach getting better gas mileage.