1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Cost Comparison - May Surprise You

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by javawizard, Oct 18, 2007.

1. javawizard

javawizard New Member

There's a fuel cost analyzer tool at www.fast-math.org which is laid out as if you are considering the purchase of a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle, although you can use it to run some as-ifs, and after-the-fact comparisons with your Prius. This converter will allow you to work in miles per gallon as well as kilometers-per-liter, can enter any number of years (how long will it take for your Prius to pay for itself?) and can be used for other applications, such as a comparison of gasoline vs diesel truck.
    Have fun!
    - Jeff -

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your Prius will never pay for itself. No car ever does.

A Prius may cost a bit more than a cheapie econo-car. That difference will be paid by fuel costs.

In my area, with $3.65+ fuel prices and a 10000-mile year, I save about $1300 per year compared with my previous 17mpg SUV.

But I still would rather have a Prius than an econobox car.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Oct 18 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]527483[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe a taxi. :lol:

Tom

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Oct 18 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]527483[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, I guess that depends on how you define "pay for itself".

For instance:
    1) If I was driving a truck that was averaging 10 MPG for 50,000 miles per year and gasoline averaged $3.00/gal.

2) If I am deciding between continuing to drive the truck or purchasing a Prius

3) If I'm certain that I will average 55 MPG in the Prius and will continue to drive 50,000 miles per year with the same average gasoline price.

4) If the purchase price of the Prius is $25,000 and insurance and maintenance costs would be the same for both vehicles.

5) If we assume that the trade-in value of the truck right now, and the trade in value of the Prius at the end of the "payback period" are identical, and we don't try to adjust for inflation (to keep the math simpler)

6) It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to say that the fuel cost savings will pay for the Prius in 2 years and 13 days. ($30,555 fuel for the truck - $5,555 fuel for the Prius = $25,000 saved = Purchase price of the Prius)

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Javawizard,

I imagine you are thinking we who are driving Prius did not think about this. But what it seems more like is that you did not consider why so many doctors, professors, teachers, pilots and engineers have bought Prius cars?

Gas is not the whole economic story. There is also the fact that the Prius friction brakes will last almost , if not the life of the car. The car does not use them in everyday driving til the speed is below 7 mph. Also, there is no power steering pump (its electric), no EGR valve, no starter (its part of the transmission, and way oversized for starting function), no alternator (again part of the transmission).

In comparison to my old Saturn SL2, its doubling the mileage in the summer and fall and exceeding a 20 mpg advantage the rest of the year. Which requires $1500 dollars in brake work over a 150 K mile life. Also, its a good bet that it will require (as in you better budget for it) a $150 EGR valve at about 75 K miles, $200 starter sometime between 50 and 100 K miles, a $ 150 alternator sometime between 50 and 100 K miles, and the PS pump sometime before 150 K miles.

Work it out based on cost per mile of each of these maintanence items. And if your getting a Diesel with better than 40 mpg, factor in that $1000 Turbo replacement at 75 K miles too (that a $170 a year cost based on 12.5 K miles a year).

The National Labs have run two 2004 (generation 2) Prius for in excess of 125 K miles around Phoenix, and the total ownership cost was $.22 / mile or less. And that is with bank messengers driving the cars. Which is extreme, as they drive all day long, not half of the time in cool morning.

6. mommydewdrops

mommydewdrops New Member

I guess where I find this comparison useful is with the Highlander Hybrid. The premium is about $6000.

Now it is true that the Hybrid comes with the snow track drive or something and some other features but the premium seems very high.

However, if the maintenance costs on the hybrid will be less, than it definitely makes it much more reasonable.

Nevertheless, I'm still hoping to get the hybrid, just because of the effects on the environment.

However, when I do the math, it just doesn't make that much sense (no pun intended!!) -- I suppose if I want to save the environment, I should really walk more!:) but with kids, not always so easy :) (they RUN and I walk!!)

I appreciate the website to do the math -- helps me with my decision