1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Door Won't Open

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Atwork, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Atwork

Atwork New Member

Wondering if anyone has had this happen....for the last week or so my prius is flashing a quick needs maintenance when the car starts, different than before. Then when I needed to refuel, the door would not open, no matter how much I pressed the little lever by the drivers seat. Bad, because I was at a station with one pip and no way to refuel, nearest dealer not near enough to reach with the gas remaining. Anyway, I attempted to open it with my fingers, a nail file for some leverage and did eventually get it open. That was two days ago. Today when I start up my car the needs maint. is just on, period. No oil change etc. is due right now. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't press the lever for the fuel door, you pull it up!!!

The Maint Req light flashes before it reaches the 5000 mile mark and then stays on. Most likely it was not reset at the last oil change

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The light and the fuel door aren't related. Resetting the light is
    in the owners manual. The fuel door sounds like a problem, though;
    it's not hard for the latch piece to get bent out more so that the
    pin doesn't release it when you pull the cable. Or the cable itself
    could have busted -- have someone watch the little door pin while
    you pull the handle and see if it still moves.
    _H*

4. Atwork

Atwork New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firepa63 @ Oct 23 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]529344[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, push, pull, I'm at the computer and not at the car. No routine maint. is due, which is why I was wondering. I'm familiar with the routine maint. reminder, this is different.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 23 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]529345[/snapback]</div>
    Good idea, I'll try that. Thank you!

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Atwork @ Oct 23 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]529355[/snapback]</div>
    So. Which light is on? Is it the maintenance required light? The check engine light?

I think the reason that firepa suggested the Maint Req light is because your description sounds like exactly what happens when it's been 4500-5000 miles since the light was last reset.

The Maint. Req. light is just simply a counter that tells you when 5000 miles have elapsed since it was last reset (hopefully at your last oil change, but some dealers have been known to forget to do it from time to time). The Check Engine light can indicate a lot of different things and potentially can mean a more serious problem with the car.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You might try to lube the pin area once the door is open. Dirt and the like may be clogging up the works.

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll parrot the "maint req'd" light comments, but add that if you're on a slightly different maintenance schedule than the recommended, e.g. you do oil changes every 3-4000 miles instead of 5 (or, gasp, longer than 5,000 mile intervals :) ), and/or you don't have service done at a Toyota shop, then that light won't be in sync with when you do service.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 23 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]529345[/snapback]</div>
    When I experienced a similar problem, the cable and the pin worked just fine, but the spring that pushes the door open was missing. If that were to be the case, you need to have someone pull up the lever while at the same time you push in the hinge side of the fuel filler door.

9. Atwork

Atwork New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 23 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]529376[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, good to know, thanks!

10. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you don't have a second person handy, you can hook the release lever under the driver's shoulder belt to hold it up while you push the fuel door open.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Oct 23 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]529364[/snapback]</div>
    Yup! It's quite normal for a spring/hinge to dry up after awhile. A squirt of WD-40 will make a world of difference.

12. stormyronwhite

stormyronwhite New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Fuel Door Won't Open

Thanks for the tips, you Prius owners. It is Thanksgiving Eve at 11:23 and I just got back from the filling station AFTER following this specific detail about propping up the lever. It worked beautifully. I can work out the kink after Thanksgiving, thankfully. Now we head 300 miles away to my Mom's 90th birthday celebration!!!

13. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Fuel Door Won't Open

Thanks every one.
    I have been having the same problem. I guess it needs lubrication.
    I fill up so infrequently that I always forget to try to fix it.