1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Economy Dropping when stopped & engine not running

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jsabowabo, Dec 16, 2022.

1. jsabowabo

jsabowabo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone, first post.

My son's 2009 Prius just had a new to us engine (w/92k) put in. Since getting it back it has a strange issue. I noticed that when stopped and the engine not running, the indicated mpg continues to drop, as if the engine were idling. I confirmed the engine is not running when this happens.

The only thing that makes the MPG stay constant is putting the car in Park.

Aside from that it gets great MPG and runs normal. Any ideas?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't think my MPG and my '09 drops with the car sitting still and the gas engine on or off? I don't think I'll look today and getting ready to drive it in a few minutes I'm looking at the miles per gallon where the little regenerative braking bar graph is not the one that shows the battery condition that's constantly changing all the time way too much to even look at hardly either way I don't think my car does it unless the car is moving and there's input from the driver like the gas pedal something or you're up to speed and the cruise is on

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Real time MPG calculations are not what you want to pay attention to or worry about. Everything is fine! With a replacement engine this car will last a really long time!

4. jsabowabo

jsabowabo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not the realtime MPG that drops. It's the overall MPG that's calculated since the last odometer trip reset. I'll pull up to a light and it will be at 44 mpg. By the time I pull away it's dropped to 43.2. It never used to do that.

5. jsabowabo

jsabowabo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to report back for anyone that has this problem in the future. I made no changes, but the problem just went away. Just using the car day to day resolved the problem somehow.

bisco likes this.