1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Economy - Mud Guards and Wheel Covers take 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by brighamwj, Nov 21, 2006.

1. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read the other thread on this topic, but the last response was 11 months ago so I figured it wouldn't hurt to re-open the subject.
    I would like to hear a few oppinions as to the negligible or demonstrable effect of removing the fisher price (sarcasm) plastic wheel covers and adding the toyota mud guards on MPG.
    My mileage seems to have gone from 44 to 42 on average per tank since the modifications. However, I may just be inept at the pulse and glide routine used to acheive superior mileage.

Please feel free to let me know your insights.

Thanks

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    beyond minimal. when's the last time you checked tire pressure?

3. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 21 2006, 10:30 PM) [snapback]352838[/snapback]</div>
    Good Point...I was in China for a couple of weeks. I didn't check the pressure when I returned and have since driven the car for two months...DUH.

Thanks.

Oh yeah. I noticed you have the mud guards. What is your mpg? If it is listed on your bio/signature I will get it there.

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we get upper 40s-lower 50s depending on weather, who's driving, etc.

it's a good idea to check tire pressure weekly or biweekly anyway, you might try to get into that habit :)

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ Nov 21 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]352821[/snapback]</div>
    I've not been able to notice any difference, I added the mudguards a few months after I bought our Prius, and was still getting in the high 40's. The trim rings came off shortly after, but they are occasionally back on the car, though, with no discernible impact on mileage. I get in the mid to low 50's depending on the weather, but most of my commute is under 60 mph for the most part.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ Nov 21 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]352821[/snapback]</div>
    All Canadian vehicles have mudguards as standard. I seem to be getting fairly good mileage. At least I've kept the leaves and other crud limited to the mudguard area.

7. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brighamwj @ Nov 21 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]352821[/snapback]</div>
    By the way, if you have the optional under rear bumper protector molding the mud flaps will not install. The protector wraps all the way around into the rear wheel wells where the flaps need to fit flush for anchoring with screws.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Ed @ Nov 23 2006, 06:53 PM) [snapback]353596[/snapback]</div>
    What rear bumper protector? What has that have to do with mudguards? The bumper protector is on the surface facing upwards at the opening of the hatch.

If you're referring to the black rear skirt that we all have, it's not a problem. Again, as I've said, mudguards are standard on Canadian vehicles so if you want to know how your car looks like, just browse a Canadian site that test drove a Prius (auto123.com/en and canadiandriver.com to name a few)

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought I noticed a small hit on my highway fuel mileage after I added mud guards, as described in this thread:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18994&hl=

Longer term experience suggests that the fuel mileage hit for me is minimal, if at all. Nonetheless, I've made a small modification that allows me to easily remove them for long trips, when I'm most concerned about fuel economy and least concerned about my gravel driveway (the main reason for installing them). I replaced the stock Phillips head screws with hex head screws that are easily accessed with a box end or open end wrench without turning the front wheels or removing the rear ones. I keep a box end ratchet in the car just for this purpose, so now I can completely remove them or replace them in about 10 minutes.

10. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 24 2006, 01:37 AM) [snapback]353648[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, the rear skirt. Local dealers here refer to it as under bumper protector. I purchased Toyota mud flaps and they do not approximate the wheel wells where the skirt wraps around there. Perhaps there is a flap version in Canada with a groove that accommodates the skirt, or maybe cars with flaps do not have the wheel well skirt segments?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Ed @ Nov 24 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]353694[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know how that protects the bumper lol. All I know is that it helps direct air.

hmm... that's odd. Well my mudguards are dealer-installed (same goes for all other Toyotas with mudguards). I have the rear skirt and the rear mudguard follows the outline perfectly.

Is it Prius mudguards? Did you get it from a dealer or 3rd party?

12. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 25 2006, 01:14 AM) [snapback]353881[/snapback]</div>
    "Prius" mud guards bought from dealer in Toyota box.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Ed @ Nov 25 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]353981[/snapback]</div>
    That's really odd then. I mean, there's not much more I can say since all you have to do is look at a Canadian Prius.

I'll let the other US owners chip in with their experiences with the accessory. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 22 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]353216[/snapback]</div>
    no they don't. Early 2k4's were mud guard free.

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Ed @ Nov 23 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]353596[/snapback]</div>
    this must have changed in the 06s. my 05 fits the mudguards fine. apologies for the semi-blurry picture, it's way bright outside and my eyes were burning.

[attachmentid=5765]

16. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 26 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]354236[/snapback]</div>
    No changes that I know of because my mud guards fit just fine. I even replaced my black lower spoiler with the red colored version and they still fit just fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have mud guards and no plastic wheel covers. My mileage has increased by 50%.

Come on guys.... this stuff doesn't make any difference. driving 1/2mph slower or faster will make a bigger difference in gas mileage than either of these "mods" could ever hope to help or hurt.

For the record, my lifetime mileage is 53mpg - always driven with a full car, and always on the freeway. Somedays my average is 49mpg. Other days it is 56. And this is on the same roads at the same speeds with the same load, with the same driver using the same techniques in the same car with mud guards and no wheel covers.