1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Economy rationalized...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by pearsonrj, Jul 21, 2005.

1. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Obviously the vast majority of Prius owners are keenly interested in their vehicle's fuel economy. There have been lots of posts along the lines of 'I can't get more than 42 mpg' or 'How do I improve my mpg?' or 'So-and-so managed to get 80 mpg' etc.

In my opinion, the performance of your car with respect to fuel economy should be measured compared to the alternatives. For most of us that means comparing the fuel economy of your Prius to that of a regular car that you might otherwise drive.

I have a Honda Odyssey minivan (EPA 18 city/25 highway) in addition to the Prius. In situations where I get less than the EPA numbers for the Prius, I also get less than the EPA numbers in the minivan. A typical week driving around in the minivan might get 16-17 mpg (short trips, A/C on etc.). Those exact same conditions in the Prius will get mid-40s mpg. Both vehicles fall short of EPA estimates, but the Prius is still way more economical than my other vehicle, and the % shortfall of both vehicles is comparable.

If you've read this far then thank you, and just let me pontificate for a few more sentences...

So in summary, when a Prius beats EPA estimates, a regular vehicle driven in the same conditions will beat EPA estimates, and when the Prius falls short of EPA estimates, so will a regular vehicle in the same conditions. Many of the driving techniques proposed in this forum to optimize fuel economy can be applied to a regular car.

If you evaluate your Prius' fuel economy in isolation you are not being fair to yourself or the Prius.

OK, I'm done.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very well stated. I couldn't agree more.

When my mileage drops below 45 MPG, I just remember the 4 year old Mercury Voyager that I traded for the prius and it's 17.5 lifetime MPG.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thinking. May I add that also if you wish to compare fuel mileage with others, try to compare with those living near you or with similar (which may or may not be hard) terrain. Someone in San Fran will not get the same mileage as someone in Arizona or Texas.