1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel economy really does not matter....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kirbinster, Jul 27, 2005.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I've read many posts here and in other places about people that are unhappy that they "only" get 46 mpg and think they are loosing out on something that those 56 mpg people have. Well yes, but maybe they should step back and do the math. If you drive an average of 15,000 miles per year then you will use 326 gallons of gas if you get 46 mpg while you would have consumed only 268 gallons had you gotten 56 mpg. That difference is only 58 gallons of gas or at $2.50 a gallon it translates into roughly $145. Probably not worth worrying about for most of us.

You could easily make up that money by just combining some trips and thinking before you jump in the car. A reduction of 2,700 miles or roughly 18% of your driving will make up that difference and save you money in wear and tear on the car too - not to mention your time.

So, relax 46 mpg is not bad!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You must be assuming that our mileage craze is grounded in reason. My sense is that it's more recreational, or a personal challenge to enjoy our new toys. Although some people do enough annual driving for it to actually matter (I've seen a few members of the 50K club here), for the rest of us I think it's just a hobby to keep us off the streets. Think of it as midnight basketball for nerds.

Sir Edmund Hillary, when asked why he climbed Mount Everest: "Because it is there."

3. Schmika

Schmika New Member

But, But, But...Kirbinster...What about the fun...and the bragging rights? :( If we didn't care about the gas mileage, what would there be to care about. I find myself driving my other cars easier and more efficiently out of habits I developed in squeezing a couple of more MPG out of the Prius. :lol:

If 46 isn't bad, then why not drive like an idiot and get 43, or even..gasp...41. :pukeright:

NO NO NO...you are wrong...It DOES matter. Every drop of gas has the right to it's fair share of mileage. Every milliamp of electricity should be used to its fullest.

MPG is the be all and end all. I stand up proudly and speak to all who will listen..I DEMAND EQUALITY...I DEMAND EQUAL REPRESENTATION. If Ray can get 818 miles in one tank, I should have the right to as well. I'll SUE Toyota if they can't make my car get great gas mileage.

If they can send a man to the moon, why can't I get 60 MPG...or even 70, 80 or 100....AHHHHHHHH

(we are sorry for this outburst, Karl is medicated now, g'nite)

4. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I know we all like to brag how well we do with our Prius's to friends and anyone that will listen. I just wanted to quantify it for those that are so upset that they are not able to achieve super mpg levels that it is not really hurting them that much in the pocketbook - that is all.

5. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

A point that most people fail to realize is the "diminishing returns" of better gas milage. Consider that the fuel cost to drive a car 10,000 miles at $2.50/gal is:
    10 mpg - $2500
    15 mpg - $1667
    20 mpg - $1250
    40 mpg - $ 625
    50 mpg - $ 500
    80 mpg - $ 312

If you increase your milage from 15 to 20 mpg you save $417, but if you are already averaging 40 mpg, you would need to increase your mileage to 120 mpg to save $417!! At the current gas cost, I think the point of diminishing returns is about 40 mpg. After that, you don't gain a whole lot financially.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great perspective<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kingofgix\";p=\"110876)</div>
    Great perspective. I get a good laugh each month when my gas bill comes in at less than half the pre-Prius amount.

7. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I can definitely afford the gas, but I never had this much fun when I was going fast and riding someone's bumper.

I drew a line in the sand and decided that my car should get at least 50 MPG. I never expected 60 MPG. The great thing about this game we play is that now that I've had a lot of practice with it, I easily get 58 MPG without trying at all and even doing a little hotrodding from time to time.