1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fuel economy tips in the manual

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by starla30, Feb 28, 2004.

1. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    on page 235 in the manual are some fuel economy tips that i believe would be perfect for any car but one of them in particular doesn't seem to apply to the prius, making me wonder if it's just a generic list. "Avoid heavy traffic or traffic jams whenever possible." Isn't this the best driving situation for the prius? At least traffic jams anyway?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I see where you'd think that since the city MPG is better than the hwy mpg. BUT, if you can drive at a steady 35-45 mph without the heavy traffic you'll blow that 60mpg out of the water. Recall that the city mpg rating comes from a prescribed test with 11 stops in 5 miles or something similar...it doesn't make the same run without the stops to see which would be better. It's supposed to be a worse case scenario.

3. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ahh, thanks. that would explain the 35mph side street shortcut i take on the way home from work on which i always get 99.9mpg the whole way.