1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel economy

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by karl cimino, Jul 28, 2012.

1. karl cimino

karl cimino New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Is it a good thing to drive mostly on EV - I am averaging 64mpg for past 10 fill ups with 67 as my best. Would I do better with just keeping ECO score between 80-90

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! no, using ev just causes the ice to run more to recharge it. not efficient at all. drive eco and study methods in many fuel economy threads here on p/c. all the best with your new C!

3. Izham Aziz

Izham Aziz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I've observed the attitude of my C. If i drove it casually at 65-75 mph (110-125kmh) which is acceptable cruising speed when ur on highways or a nice open road, i'll get between 21-22 KM/L (49-51mpg) no matter haw bad i try.

If i drive slower than I normally do, not chasing red lights, sticking between 35-50mph (60-85kmh) which is still pretty acceptable on open roads and highways apparently (you'll realize this once you slow down and you'll find that there are a lot of other drivers that actually drive at this pace) At this sort of driving, I'd get 28-30KM/L (65-70MPG).

If i kinda run it a lil bit spiritedly, sprinting, and topping out at 105mph, and keeping it above 75mph, I'd get between 16-18KM/L (37 - 43MPG).

All of them are for trips over 10 miles (17km) (the distance from my home to town is 10 miles, flat road (i live near the beach haha) and i can fairly say 60% are wide open 2 and 3 lane roads, and the other 40% is city traffic with stop lights and people and stuffs.

So, yeah, I love it, i know I can do 5L/100km (47mpg) on my older 1.2L 950kg car (which uses a Renault Clio 1.2 engine the D4F) but that was like running with no A/C, not exceeding 90kph (55mph) and being very gentle on the accelerator, and yes shifting nicely, it's a manual car. Normal driving would give me 33-36MPG, and spirited driving would drop the figure to 28-29mpg. I keep track as well as my old car was quoted "the most fuel efficient car" in the country record book, which it is, as it's fuel consumption amazed me too and it's the reason I got it in the first place. It managed anywhere between 580-600 km on a tank (before it's 5L reserve out of its 40L tank) making it an average of 38-40mpg every time. But the PC is giving me 720-740km for 31L (I only filled up between 29-31L after the last bar is blinking and 31L is the most i've ever pumped in. So the PC is giving me 54-55MPG on average. That is a lot of difference with no change of driving style. Of course, if i ever starts to hypermile :p hahah.

Seriously, I don't care what they wanna brag about MPG on conventional cars, it's not realistic at all. The PC stands to it's claimed MPG without needing to change the way you drive, I know, because I haven't change my driving style and I am getting the 50MPG average, in fact I'm getting more than that :p.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally speaking no but you're obviously doing something right. :)