1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by glscheil1, Jan 24, 2004.

1. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Yesterday, I made my usual trip from Raytown, MO.(Kansas City suburb) to the Refuge at Mound City, MO. I left about 8 am with full tank. Went north on I 435 to I 29 near KCI airport. Encountered cross winds all the way. On I 29, there are many steep hills, up and down with the same crosswinds. I set the cruise at 70 mph. I noticed the consumption dropped bad going up the hills but recovered some going down the other side. It was a 256 mile round trip and my mileage for the whole trip was 40.9 mpg.
    The temperature was 32 degrees when I left and 52 degrees when I returned home. I don't think going up the hills and down on other side balance out. When I got home, I had 3 bars on the fuel guage. :( :( :( :violin:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you suggesting you found these results disappointing? They sound about dead on what you should expect. If you don't have tire pressure optimized and if you're under about 3000 miles you might be seeing slightly lower mpg than you could otherwise, but not by much.

70mph is going to be a killer. Crosswinds will hurt. Hills are definately bad--at least the up part, and you're right, it won't balance out completely--it costs you more to go up than you can regain going down. That cold morning definately couldn't have helped things out at all, though you should have seen an improvement in the afternoon.

3 bars left on the guage, for me, usually means about 125-150 miles left in the tank.

BTW, we should probably try to organize some sort of Missouri meet-up sometime...I'm way down in Springfield area, but there's probably some in between place most of the state's owner's who're interested could meet up.

3. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

Evan, no I am not complaining. I just put synthetic oil in. My post was more informational, if anything. I am satisfied & can't wait for spring & summer weather for better results. I am thinking about raising my tire pressure some but not to 40,42 ppq inch. I know where Nixa is. I have a friend who moved from Nixa to Branson and went into the motel business.

Maybe we could find some other Missouri owners to have a meet somewhere. Will have to think of some way to ascertain who they are.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's a whole forum for local clubs and meets:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=9