1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Efficiency: Heated Seat Pad vs. Climate Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr, Dec 22, 2008.

1. JoeyJoeJoShabadoo Jr

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I purchased a Wagan deluxe heated seat cushion, not a bad deal for $20. Once its warmed up and good to go, I find that i can turn off the climate control and the seat heater sustains me with enough warmth. I've also noticed that by the time the cushion heats up, the climate control is also heated and the cushion can be turned off.

My question is, which is more efficient to run in these less than 30 degree winters: my climate control set at 76-78, or using the 12 volt/35 Watt cushion?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that the traction battery also likes to be comfortable and draws its heat/cooling from the cabin. You will find that the battery is less efficient if you turn the heat off for the cabin.

3. JaniceC

JaniceC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Joe, thanks for the post about the Wagan brand of seat heater.
    I just bought a pair of these for our Prius, and they seem to be working well (it's only been two days + one snow storm so far).

A question: the package warns not to leave the units plugged in when not in use. I can't imagine how they would draw power from the battery if the car is off. Have you, by chance, left the seat heater plugged in while your car was off? Did they drain the battery?

The only thing I don't like about the Wagan heaters is the gawd-awful smell of the plastic material that they're made with. I've left the windows open (car in garage) to help them air out faster.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Since I am in winter clothes in the winter (gore tex shell, with hood, synthetic jacket liner, sweat shirt or sweather over dress shirt on cold days, heavy pants below 10 F, insulated boots and two pairs of socks), and do not use the heater much, I find the Prius just fine down to about 10 F. Below 10 F I start to use the heater much more. I think the only heated personal comfort device needed is a heated steering wheel. I even drive with a 1/8 inch crack in the driver side front window, and 1/4 inch in the passenger rear window.

Except for cold hands, and I have quite warm hands compared to other people , I have no winter discomfort in the Prius. I do wear hats however. And many people just consider hats a fashion no-no. Which is just plain silly in below-freezing weather.