1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel efficient non-hybrid car. Which one?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Eug, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I have a 2004 Prius. My GF has nothing, and we will be needing two cars shortly. She plans on getting the car preferably before the end of this year.

Cost is an issue, as is fuel efficiency. We're thinking of a Yaris 5-door hatchback. The fact that the federal government (Canada) offers a $1000 rebate on this car certainly doesn't hurt.

And when is the 2008 Yaris out?

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd also consider the Honda Fit as another car sortta like the Yaris. Of course, you could always go with a Corolla or a Civic.

3. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eug @ Jun 26 2007, 07:00 AM) [snapback]468223[/snapback]</div>
    You must be in Canada. We can't get the 5 door Yaris here. I like the Yaris, I'd get one over the Fit. I'm just biased toward Toyota.

4. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you don't need long range or high speed in the second car, consider a Zap Xebra. It burns no gas at all.

If you need both cars to have high speed and long range (few families really do) then why not get another Prius?

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jun 26 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]468235[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Jun 26 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]468237[/snapback]</div>
    Strange that you can't get the 5-door in the US. If we didn't have that option here, she wouldn't be considering the Yaris.

I looked at the Fit, and it seems OK. She's never driven one though (and neither have I). Is it any better than the Yaris? It looks similar in specs, more or less, but the gas mileage is worse, which means it doesn't qualify for the $1000 fuel efficiency rebate here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 26 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]468241[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, but while it's an interesting car, unfortunately with a range of only 25 miles and a top speed of 40 mph, it's almost useless in a place like Toronto. We'll be living on the east side of the city, and to get to a mall in say the west side would mean the car wouldn't even have enough juice to make it back home. Furthermore, it wouldn't even have enough juice to get to the airport. Also, she has friends/relatives about 80+ km away, and obviously would need to take the highway to get there. I'd consider one if it had a range of 200 miles and a top speed of 70 mph. (The Yaris has a range of about 300 miles, and I'd guess a top speed of about 85 mph.)

I also wonder about the safety of that Zap.

As for the Prius, it's above her price range, and we don't need one that big for the 2nd car.

7. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eug @ Jun 26 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]468261[/snapback]</div>
    No, we don't get the 5 door hatch Yaris, just the 3 door or the ugly American sedan.

The Honda Fit handles better than the Yaris, at least the sedan version that I test drove. The Fit also had a lot more storage room and a much more versatile arrangement.

If you don't need a big car then a Smart Cdi might work. They are inexpensive and get great mileage.

If you are willing to look at used vehicles, any of the VW TDI's get great mileage. At least in the US you can get the TDI in the Jetta, Golf, Jetta Wagon, Beetle, or Passat. A used Prius or Insight could be an option too.

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 26 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]468241[/snapback]</div>

I agree with Daniel on this if you only really need 1 for long trips freeway speeds then do the second for around town only.
    We do it that way, wife drives the prius, I use ev for in town only trips , I have even contacted our local stores to see if I could "plug in" while shopping their stores. Some say yes, while some don't have an outside receptacle but you never know until you ask. The ones that say NO I shop elsewhere

9. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Fit would be a contender except for that "gas tank located under the front seat" issue. See review in above post. Would anyone really feel comfortable with that if they knew.

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Jun 26 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]468343[/snapback]</div>
    I'm fine with it. To me having the fuel tank in the middle of the car only makes sense. It would be better protected from crash damage from all sides. Is it actually under the seat or between the front seats and slightly under? I suspect that it is centered in the car.

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBO6 @ Jun 26 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]468343[/snapback]</div>
    I really think this is a case of people feeling uncomfortable without there being a good reason. If I asked the population if they wanted to drive a car with a 200V battery right below the back seat, many would be hesitant about that.

I could also easily make an argument that the gas tank in the back is more dangerous. After all, if you get rear-ended it is much easier for the gas tank to get punctured if it's way in the back of the car.

That said, if you have any actual evidence that this is more dangerous, please illuminate us. However, a USA Today article that says that something seems dangerous (with no evidence that it actually is) is just not all that convincing to me.

12. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds good to me.
    The safest place in the car should be around the driver and back seats, so that's the best place to put something you really want to keep intact in an accident. Anything else is in a crumple zone, so I'd be really uncomfortable with putting high-energy devices (large batteries or gas tanks) out there.

13. dipper

dipper Senior Member

How about a Corolla 5-spd? The mpg averages seems to be the best around. And with so many discounts for them, they can be had for similar price as fit/yaris.

14. acdii

acdii Active Member

I would be concerned with a car where the fuel tank was essentially in the passenger compartment. I had a 1967 Chevy C30 that had the tank behind the drivers seat. A wee bit scary. Fieros had the tank between the seats, equally scary. The majority of the cars built in the past 20 years have safe gas tank locations, you rarely see incidents of ruptured tanks, unless it was a really hard impact, in which case most people dont walk away from it.

15. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eug @ Jun 26 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]468223[/snapback]</div>
    I would seriously consider a Yaris. My daughter has one. She bought it last August of 06. It is a great car. I have had my Prius since March of 07. Since I bought the Prius, I have learned about the different Pulse and Glide techniques and the general hypermile mentality. Interestingly enough, she has applied some of these techniques and has increased her MPG in the Yaris significantly.

She lives in Nashville, and in city driving she has improved from 35ish to 40ish by turning off her ignition when stopped and pulsing and gliding. On the highway she has improved from 40ish to over 50 on her last trip from Nashville to Cincinnati. She pulses between 70 and 60 and glides on the downhills.

I think the hypermiler techniques could work on almost any car.

The Yaris has been a solid dependable car. She now has over 20,000 miles.

Hope this helps.

16. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Jul 3 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]472440[/snapback]</div>

Don't do it man.... turning the car on and off will kill the starter. Which cost $150 for parts to replace ($200+ total). Is saving about $50 of gas before the starter goes out worth the price and lost of time?

The is the great thing about hybrids, the electric motor will not wear out like a starter motor.

17. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Jul 5 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]473366[/snapback]</div>

Yes you're right the fuel pump and oil pressure gauge is different in the ICE of Pri than in other cars.

18. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Honda Civic all the way. I have a friend who gets 40 mpg out of hers. I also heard they aren't selling well because of all the incentives for the Accord, so you may just find a dealer needing to clear some inventory. The Fit is a hot little car, it looks great. As far as the Yaris, the 4 door is half way decent looking, but the ones with the hatch are hideous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jun 26 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]468347[/snapback]</div>
    plus the fuel line runs typically up the passenger side rails of all cars, the real danger is fuel being able to spray on exhaust in any car.

19. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Jul 5 2007, 03:08 AM) [snapback]473366[/snapback]</div>
    Her dealer offers an unlimited mile warranty on all drivetrain parts for the original owner. The clutch isn't included but the starter is.

20. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bestmapman @ Jul 6 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]473988[/snapback]</div>
    The starter isn't part of the drivetrain. I think the starter will only have the 3 yr. 36,000 mile warranty. By the way turning off the car and riding in neutral is illegal and is extremely unsafe.

Drive Train Warranty: This is the portion of the coverage that begins after the basic warranty expires. The drive train warranty covers most of the parts that make the vehicle move, including the engine, transmission, drive axles and driveshaft. Like the basic warranty, "consumable" parts such as hoses and belts are not covered. However, most of the internal parts of the engine, such as the pistons and bearings, which are also subject to wear and tear, are covered by the drive train warranty.