1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Gage won't work after fill-up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by clongwor, Sep 12, 2007.

1. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi--
    I noticed that there are lots of posts about the fuel gauges but I didn't see any that fit my problem.

I've had my 05 Prius for 2 years and today I had 2 pips left and filled it up. Usually when I drive away, the pips move to Full in a few minutes, but I've driven 30 miles today and only 2 pips are still there.

Any ideas?

Carolyn

2. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi--
    I noticed that there are lots of posts about the fuel gauges but I didn't see any that fit my problem.

I've had my 05 Prius for 2 years and today I had 2 pips left and filled it up. Usually when I drive away, the pips move to Full in a few minutes, but I've driven 30 miles today and only 2 pips are still there.

Any ideas?

Carolyn

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That happened to me once on my 04. I drove for a couple of hundred miles and then filled up again. I wanted to be sure I could put in more than 3 gallons. When I filled up that second time, the gauge went to full and I've never had the problem again.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That happened to me once on my 04. I drove for a couple of hundred miles and then filled up again. I wanted to be sure I could put in more than 3 gallons. When I filled up that second time, the gauge went to full and I've never had the problem again.

5. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had the same thing happen on my '05 after filling up at a gas station near my house. I used a different station for the next fill up and it reset. The next time I used that same station, it did the same thing. I stopped fueling up at that station. :unsure:

6. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I had the same thing happen on my '05 after filling up at a gas station near my house. I used a different station for the next fill up and it reset. The next time I used that same station, it did the same thing. I stopped fueling up at that station. :unsure:

7. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to you and Sonny Jim for the quick replies.
    Today there was just one pip, so I was getting nervous.

When it happened to you, did the pips ever disappear altogether?

It's pretty disconcerting having the guage tell you you're running on empty!

Carolyn

8. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to you and Sonny Jim for the quick replies.
    Today there was just one pip, so I was getting nervous.

When it happened to you, did the pips ever disappear altogether?

It's pretty disconcerting having the guage tell you you're running on empty!

Carolyn

9. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clongwor @ Sep 13 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]512032[/snapback]</div>
    I usually fill up when I have half a tank, so mine was initially stuck at 4 pips (I think)...If I recall correctly, it went down to 2 pips before I put more gas in at the different station, and that is when it reset...

10. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clongwor @ Sep 13 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]512032[/snapback]</div>
    I usually fill up when I have half a tank, so mine was initially stuck at 4 pips (I think)...If I recall correctly, it went down to 2 pips before I put more gas in at the different station, and that is when it reset...

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Sep 13 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]512199[/snapback]</div>
    I tried that when it happened to me; it didn't reset the gauge :mellow:

14. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Sep 13 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]512199[/snapback]</div>
    I tried that when it happened to me; it didn't reset the gauge :mellow:

15. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well.....the gauge finally hit empty, all the lights flashed and the car died. Had to be towed. So either there's something wrong with the car or the gas station I've been going to for 20 years has a pump that looks like it;s pumping gas, but nothing's coming out. When he was filling the tank, I saw the numbers change on the pump and it was the usual 20 bucks since I don't let it go below 2 pips till now!

If Toyota says I ran out of gas, I'll have to pay for the service and the rental car. And then I'll have to nag the gas station guy.

I'll post the results when Toyota calls me tomorrow.

Carolyn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clongwor @ Sep 12 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]511451[/snapback]</div>

16. clongwor

clongwor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just picked up my car. This is what they did:

"Customer states car will not stay running. Vehicle won't run. Found no fuel. Added Fuel. Cleared codes but HV battery completely depleted. Brought car into shop and performed inspection work. Procedure to charge HV battery. Added $27.62 of fuel.
    Total parts and labor -- $198.97"

Then it was another $47 for the car rental but they didn't charge for the tow.

The total for my trusting my gas station more than my Prius was $245.97 plus using one of my personal days from work.

Tomorrow I have to go and tell the gas station owner about it.

It still seems weird that the attendant filled my car like he's done for the last 20 years and nothing was going in. Toyota attached the receipts for the gas they put in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clongwor @ Sep 18 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]514573[/snapback]</div>