1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel gauge calibration in 2010 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by deltron3030, Jan 3, 2010.

1. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Gen II directions don't seem to apply to the Gen III (no on/off ODO). does anyone know how to do this DIY?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess I would need a little more information to know for sure what you are asking. I didn't know the fuel gauge could be calibrated in the Gen2. :confused:

3. chimo

chimo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just returned from a long trip (~3000km return). I noticed that when my last fuel gauge pip starts flashing and the car beeps, there are still about 8-9 liters in the tank. It seems to go into flash mode too soon.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have let mine get down to the last pip blinking a few times and have had about 2 U.S. Gallons (7.6 liters) left. That's quite a bit but it seems consistent so I could note the mileage, or reset one of the trip odometers, when it blinks and predict pretty close how much further I could make it if necessary.

5. chimo

chimo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, good to see mine is in the normal range. Thanks,

Paul

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The calibration the OP is referencing is a float calibration function used to set the full mark on level ground.

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I got the first beep and then drove until the autonomy showed less than 20km - I fueled up and only 37L went in. This means that when the first beep comes, you probably have still 9-10L fuel in the tank - a bit too much for my taste - I was used with 5L on my Polo when the autonomy was 0km and the indicator was clearly on empty and the fuel light was on...

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks Spinnr now that you mention it I do remember it existed, never had occasion to use it though. Apparently the Gen3 has no such feature? at least I haven't seen it referenced anywhere.

9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I found this on the manual - did not notice it when I first read it (I have to read the german version and it is tough for me, not being a native speaker...):
    "The minimum amount of fuel to add to make the low fuel level warning light go out is about 1.6 gal. [6.0 L, 1.3 Imp.gal.], when the vehicle is on a level surface. This value may vary when the vehicle is on a slope."

but also:
    "Low fuel level warning light
    Remaining fuel (Approximately 1.6 gal. [6.0 L, 1.3 Imp.gal.] or less)"

But this is not what I experienced - when the light starts blinking if I go fuel up, I see that I had still 9-10 liters of fuel in with autonomy not zero! Even when I tank with 0km autonomy I see that around 7L were still in the tank....
    I am confused - how do I know when the 6L reserve is starting to be used?

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO it's still a "Guess Gauge". I haven't had the car long enough to develop a comfort level with any of its gauges. There's a fuel pump in the tank cooled by the gas. No point in running the tank to empty.

11. PuckSR

PuckSR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, did anyone ever figure out the procedure on this?
    My 2011 ran empty the other day but was showing half a tank of fuel according to the indicator.

It sounds identical to the issue experienced on Gen II prius and it isn't even an odd automotive problem, just curious if this is something I need a dealer to do or something I can DIY.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^ I can't answer your primary question, but must ask one myself. Have you verified that the tank actually ran empty, and that the fuel starvation wasn't the result of some mechanical failure to get fuel from the tank to the engine?

13. PuckSR

PuckSR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I verified it.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well you're all wrong. If you actually -fill- the tank (until you see fuel in the filler tube), you will find you put in about 10 litres more after the first nossle cutoff. ;) And you can go 200 km before the first pip disappears.

It "ain't" a laboratory instrument!!

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With the exception of post #11, one would think Toyota is error-ing on the side of caution with full capacity calibration and leftovers for "indicated" empty. Can you imaging the uproar and lawsuits if as soon as the tank showed empty...you ran out of gas?

Post #11 "sounds" more likely a stuck float or wiring issue.

16. PuckSR

PuckSR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a long-standing "feature" on cars. Fuel tanks are not perfect geometric shapes. They also have a tendency to be in motion.
    Any fuel indicator can't be "perfect" because the car might stop running before the indicator reported an empty tank. It also will show "full" before the tank is totally full because the level indicator only goes to the top of the main geometric object. It doesn't can't possibly include all cavities.

My problem is that the sensor(a level transducer) reports incorrectly. If you are curious about how transducers work: OMEGA Engineering : Process Measurement and Control Products
    Gen II owners report this issue frequently(one of co-workers even had it). The solution was a re-calibration. It looks like my car is experiencing a very similar problem. I had another "out of gas" incident a few months ago. My car reported 2 "pip", but ran out of gas. I assumed it might have been blinking or I hadn't remembered correctly(the fuel level is blocked out until you clear the code, which I did after filling the tank). This variance has me believing that I either having a failing level meter or I am in need of a re-calibration.

I probably should have started a new thread. The idea that your car might not report a perfectly accurate fuel level in all usage scenarios is a well-known feature of operating a motor vehicle. The need to change your calibration factor is not a normal issue.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    PuckSR...provided below is what you need. Note that on Page 3031 it gives you the values to check the sending unit. Per the manual, it the values are not within the specified range, replace the sending unit. Appears there is no-vehicle calibration. Though it could be something else, this is the most probable cause and good place to start.

Attached Files:

18. PuckSR

PuckSR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Just noticed I never said that

XT1049 ?