1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Gauge is getting worse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bill Parlatore, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Bill Parlatore

Bill Parlatore New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 2008 Prius has always had an issue indicating we need to add fuel but it has never takes what we assume is a full tank of gas. The dealer says there is no problem with our car and so did nothing while it was under warranty. I never recall ever putting more than 8 gallons in it, even when new.

Now when it indicates one or two bars it only takes maybe 5 gallons. Recently, when we drive into town beginning with three or four bars, after maybe 12 miles the fuel gauge beeps and shows a blinking one bar... after 12 miles. Today it happened again, and the supposedly on-reserve tank (with its blinking one light) would only accept 4.1 gallons after 168 miles on that tank.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? It is ridiculous to have a car with this potential range yet we ALWAYS have to fill up under 200 miles as we don't know which gauge to believe, the fuel gauge or the total miles driven since the last reset. I would feel pretty silly having the car shut down because the blinking light was either accurate or some internal electronic switch used its input to shut things down.

And to make matters worse, many gas pump nozzles shut off almost immediately when I try to put gas in the car, causing me to have to go to another gas station.

Very frustrating. Thanks for any ideas.

#1 Bill Parlatore, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Peter Larsen and bisco like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The gas tank has a rubber bladder inside (for emissions reasons). It's possible that the rubber bladder is wearing out. I know on our 2005 Prius, the range shrunk (not as bad as you're describing) but we did notice that the amount of fuel we could put in was less than when it was new (and we could never put the actual rated amount since the rubber bladder isn't exactly the same shape as the gas tank).

Peter Larsen and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try opening the cap and letting it breathe for a few minutes before pumping. pump as slowly as possible, and try spinning the nozzle to 90 and 180 degrees.

Peter Larsen and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another trick mentioned here by another member was to do consecutive fillips of the small amounts to help “re-expand” the bladder.

Peter Larsen likes this.