1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel gauge issues.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Usernameinuse, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Usernameinuse

Usernameinuse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Driving on my original tank from dealer today from Upstate NY to NYC. On the way my C had 4 bars to begin then went to 3, then 2 after about 90 miles of traveling at avg of about 55mph. I watched the cruising distance go down to 1 but I still had 2 bars on my fuel gauge (and my crusing distance was conservative compared to my mpg reading the whole trip, which was hovering around 58mpg). The gauge went from 2 bars to one flashing bar in about 1 minute. I pulled into a gas station about 2 miles ahead and put in about 5 gallons... this put the fuel gauge up to 3/4s or about 3 bars above the halfway mark. What gives? I know there are fuel gauge issues but I thought with two bars I would have had plenty of time before I needed to fill up on these roads with these mpgs. Any insight?

2. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Others are having issues - some starting at 3 pips (like....suddenly running out of gas when it shows 3 pips!). So....a known situation. I normally watch my ECO screen but I'm watching my Trip info right now and the cruising distance to try and figure out my own system. I have 51 miles cruising distance when I went to 2 pips which doesn't correlate with simple division that each pip is about 1 gallon.

From what you've described, I think I would be picking up the phone and having a chat with my dealer. I wonder if we'll see a recall on fuel gauges to correct this......???

3. crebble

crebble Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuel guage is non-linear. It will drop much faster after half a tank. You will stay at 2 bars until your displayed remaining range equals zero at which point you'll drop to 1 flashing red bar. You *should* still have about a gallon left at that point (how much of that is usable, I don't know) enough to get you at least 30-40 miles if you push it. Your partial fill-up sounds about right. 5 gallons plus 1 left in the tank. 6 /9.5 gallons= about 2/3rds full.

Tracy likes this.
  4. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you VERY much - great info.

5. WX4GPS

WX4GPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the cruising range I found typically is till the low fuel indicator comes on, not empty, but I had noticed times where it went to 1 miles cruising range and it stayed there for 15 to 20 miles then beeped and came on, and other times it came on Im pretty sure before reaching 1.. I have comfortably driven 30 miles after the beep.