1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fuel gauge not moving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by spidey, Oct 14, 2008.

1. spidey

spidey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Newbie here. My wife incorrectly read the gauge when we first got the car and we attempted to fill it up and the gas pump shutoff didnt work causing an overfill. Since than we have driven almost 200 miles and the fuel gauge still is registering full. Do I need to worry that the overfill caused some issue that the gauge isnt working or is it possible that the overfill just hasnt brunt enough gas off yet to worry?

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You should be fine. I've run as much as 250 miles before the first pip goes. Your overfilling episode likely has caused no problems. If it had, the check engine light would likely come on.

1 person likes this.
  3. Prius_SGP

Prius_SGP New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree with JimboK.

If you run a search through this forum you'll see many reference's with regards to the fuel gauge being nothing more then a guess gauge.

4. spidey

spidey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanx finally moved a pip and found all the threads about the Guess gauge. Now we need to practice the slow fill techniques.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Spidey, just relax & enjoy the car. If you are close to Winston-Salem you should be able to get to Philadelphia on a tank of gas. Pay attention: when down to 2 pips consider buying gas. When down to 1 pip seriously consider buying gas. When the last pip flashes BUY GAS. If you push it to the point of a message on the MFD BUY GAS NOW.

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A very slow fill can prevent a pump from shutting off when it should. Happened to me once in another vehicle. The station was nearly out of gas and was dispensing incredibly slowly, slowest I've ever seen...the fill took forever so after however many minutes I became distracted doing something else at the front of the car. When I next looked back at the nozzle fuel was dripping out on the ground and it was still pumping. It was pumping so slowly that the nozzle's venturi check system couldn't function as designed.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Classic, spidey. :)

Yeah, it gets pretty good mileage, but not so good the gauge doesn't move. It doesn't seem to be as linear as it should be - the last two pips blink off much faster than the first two.

It's a far cry from the days when I could literally watch the gas needle declining.