1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel gauge update - 2nd tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JHartman, Nov 8, 2004.

1. JHartman

JHartman New Member

Here are the results of my second tank after the fuel guage update. This time I was careful to note exactly when each bar disappeared. Obviously the results are not impressive. The last bars now take a while to disappear, however the middle ones replaced them in their swift exit.

My conclusion is that I would not recommend this procedure to others.

70 miles - 1st bar disappears
    120 miles - 2nd bar disappears
    152 miles - 3rd bar disappears
    181 miles - 4th bar disappears
    210 miles - 5th bar disappears
    228 miles - 6th bar disappears
    234 miles - 7th bar disappears
    242 miles - 8th bar disappears
    286 miles - 9th bar disappears
    327 miles - low fuel light appears
    381 miles - I filled up tank and put in 8.46 gallons, the pump first shut off around 7.6 gallons

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jen,
    I'm on my 4th tank post-TSB and concur with your conclusion. Others have had good results but frankly mine have been disappointing...almost to the point I start wondering if they actually did ANYTHING.

Current tank...first bar dropped at 94 miles, second at 109 miles! Geez. The second half of the tank DOES seem a bit more reliable--close to 50 miles/bar, but I still start blinking way too soon.

Last tank started blinking at about 430 miles, got 57.4mpg that tank...only got in 7.8 gallons of gas despite driving 25 miles + after it started blinking.

I think that if you have TERRIBLE problems with your guage then getting the TSB done may be worth while, but if it's just eratic a little, but consistantly erratic and you can live with it then don't bother, it is not a perfect fix/cure by any means.