1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel guage - clear problem on the indicator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dominicsavio, Aug 8, 2009.

1. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All,
    I noticed (for the first time) a very strange behavior regarding the fuel guage and wanted to share this. Not sure if anyone has seen this but it would be good to get some input (and put my mind at ease).

With one (the last) bar remaining (still not blinking), I wanted to fill only minimal gas (~1 - 2 gallons) to be able to get to NJ where I was going to drive to (so I could fill up on the cheap because gas is much cheaper in NJ than in PA). So first I filled 1.5 gallons - but the guage didnt register any fuel increase. Surprised, I filled 2.5 more (= total of 4 gallons) and still no increase (i.e. the guage still had that one/last bar)! Nervous, I filled ~2 more and the bars didnt move but after driving for about 2 min, they shot up all of a sudden to above half

I thought this was definately stange. Normally, I always top of the tank so I wouldnt get a chance to see this.

Better yet, in NJ, when I filled up the tank, the guage showed full all the way but missed the last bar. Only after driving for ~25 miles did this bar appear. In the past, everytime I've topped the tank, I've definately seen the guage full with the max # of bars so this surely surprised me.

Any thoughts?

2. jwads

jwads New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is this a 2010 Prius or a earlier version. I know the early versions had a screwy fuel tank system where it would give false readings.

3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't have my car very long, but I have noticed the lag in showing an increase for a while. I never noticed the the topping off part, but I only filled the tank 2X

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Minor refills will not register, just as you have observed. It states that in the owners manual.

5. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so many prius gen II owners have run out of gas, scratching their heads because by their calculation they had only used about 10 gallons, but the prius has 11.9 gallon tank. be warned that the gen II prius cannot 'access' the final 1.9 gallons (approx), so each bar represents 1 gallon, when the final bar starts blinking & you get the friendly 'add fuel' screen you are on the final 1.9 gallons that the prius has trouble 'accessing', ADD GAS VERY SOON.

& for the love of the environment fill the tank all the way full every time (horrible vapors are released everytime you add gas, fewer fillups = happy earth, this is why ford/lincoln/mercury is trying their new 'capless fueltank' that the car magazines all complain is spilling fuel out)

if you drive a prius you shouldn't even care about gas prices until they hit $10/gallon, your only concern should be using quality gas, Shell, BP, Chevron & Mobil all give me 53+ mpg, definitely worth a few extra cents per gallon, and your engine will run cleaner. The discount gas stations selling bad gas are for the gas guzzlers, I try not to laugh at them when I drive by & their filling up.

6. dominicsavio

dominicsavio New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I guess I forgot to mention, mine is a 2006 Prius.

Cnschult - I found your comment interesting. I never thought that different gas stations have different "gas quality". I thought there was one common standard. I've always use the lowest grade (87 i think) but can you elaborate on this? I never seem to have read anything about this...

Also, after yesterday's experience, I definately think there is an issue with fuel guage indication (hence the term Guess Guage I think?). I just want to know what other people are experiencing

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two comments,,,First, What is our time worth? You don't want to "buy the expensive PA gas or what ever, but two stops to fill each take what 5-10 minutes, especially if you have to get off the freeway. So lets say you save what would be a staggering $.20/gal on 8 gallons. That would be a whopping $1.60. If you did this every week for a year you would save $83/year.

Second, with rare exceptions gas is gas! If you follow the truck(s) to and from the refinery you will see them go from refinery A to national brand X station, then to independent Brand Y before stopping at Brand A! There MAY be some slight additive differences but unless you are using fuel with ethenol (10% ethernol drops my mileage by ~10%,,,go figure!) or locally required oxegenated fuel you mileage should be about the same regardless of brand.

Icarus