1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel guage stays full

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lemlich, Jul 19, 2007.

1. lemlich

lemlich New Member

Just wondering if this is a known issue. Just bought my
    2007 Prius last weekend and have over 100 miles on it,
    but the fuel guage still shows full.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Larry

2. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes. That's why it's called a "Guess Gage".
    :lol:

Seriously, it's a Prius idiosyncrasy. Mine usually loses one bar ~150 miles.

Not to worry. The best thing to remember (as I've learned of late) is to power down the Prius when filling up. Oh, and don't have the attendant top it off. (That's always a fun verbal exchange.)

3. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lemlich @ Jul 19 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]481597[/snapback]</div>

It's completely normal operation. Mine typically doesn't tick off the first pip until 175 miles or so.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lemlich @ Jul 19 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]481597[/snapback]</div>
    It happens to just about everyone.

If you still have a regular car with a needle based gas gauge, go fill it up and see if the needle sweeps past the "F" on the gauge and then stops on a peg. I bet it does this as every car I've ever driven has. Now imagine that instead of a needle, your other car has 10 little light bars to show the gas level and that 10 light bars indicates the level where the "F" would be on the needle-based gauge. Any position of the needle past the "F" would be displayed as 10 bars. That's what's happening on the Prius.

Should it be that sloppy? Probably not. But it is really no different than any other car. It's just that on the Prius, you can't see just how full above the full mark it is.

5. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd like to be the first to say:
    "Welcome to good gas mileage!"

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, the anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder) used to do it too. Fuel gauge pinned for 100 km or so after filling. My Prius stays full for about 150 - 200 km. If I completely fill the tank and fuel pipe (don't do this - it was a faulty fuel nossle when I did it - twice), then the car will go 250 km or so before the first pip darkens.

This can damage the fuel tank, so as I said above, don't do it intentionally.

7. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lemlich @ Jul 19 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]481597[/snapback]</div>
    My last tank took 130 miles to lose the first piup and 40 for the second. :blink:

8. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDonna @ Jul 19 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]481601[/snapback]</div>
    When I drive to NY to see my parents, I always get gas in NJ because it's cheap. But I hate the fact that you have to wait for some surly guy to fill it up for you and get yelled at if you dare to finish it up.

I think I once heard that the no self-serve in NJ is because the oil companies are such a huge part of the economy there. Does anyone know the real reason?

Edit: I found the answer to my own question.

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/bans-gas-pumping.html

9. iDonna

iDonna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jul 19 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]481703[/snapback]</div>

Ah. I have no complaint about the "don't touch that nozzle" and actually *love* the fact they pump it for me. I don't want to smell like gas or even touch the nozzle. Yuck.

To each his/her own I guess.

;)

10. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDonna @ Jul 19 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]481711[/snapback]</div>
    As I read a little more about this issue, I was surprised to see that Corzine's effort to end the ban last year was met with such resistance. I have been pumping my own gas for so long, I hate having to wait for someone else to do it.

11. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On the hightway I get 145-150 miles on the pip of the gas gauge. The second is only about 35. In town it is some what less. Yours is most likely running true to form.

12. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine keeps dropping the first pip at 140mi on the nose. It just means that the bladder and pump didn't argue and you got a good fill. In sub-zero temps I was lucky to go 30mi before it happened.

13. Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert New Member

OK

I had one pip this morning and put 6 gallons in and it showed full. It holds 11.9 and adding six doesn't add up to a full tank. So yes, the gas guage is a guess guage.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lemlich @ Jul 19 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]481597[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. You are experiencing normal operation. When the "guess gauge" goes down to 2 pips, think about buying gas. At 1 pip, buy gas. When the last pip starts flashing, BUY GAS NOW. This will save you lots of anxiety and starting another thread about running out of gas. Just relax and enjoy the car.