1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel in Oil (from Used Oil Analysis)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 2009Prius, Nov 5, 2010.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    At 15K miles the used oil analysis showed 0.5(%?) fuel in the oil, while previous tests all showed <0.5. Flash piont also went from 395 to 355, presumably due to the fuel. Is this something to be concerned with?

The driving pattern did change. Previously it was about half local and half highway. For the last 5K miles it has been almost all local so the ICE would be on, off, on, off.... unlike on the highway it would be always on. Am I hurting the engine by not driving on the highway frequently?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No 0.5% isn't really anything to be too concerned about. A little bit of fuel always gets past the rings on cold start and then it gets driven off as vapor (and recycled through the PCV system) once the oil is fully up to temperature.

So the fuel dilution is not necessarily a cumulative thing. Even just one longer trip with the engine nice and warm would normally be enough to send it back to <0.5%.

1 person likes this.
  3. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My UOA reports have always had a bit of fuel in the oil even at the 7500mi OCI that I use. Given that the engine is always stopping and starting, and that when it runs it tends to run at very high load, I think it makes sense.

1 person likes this.
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    0.5% is OK and no action required on your part. As others have said, it would be lower with more highway driving.

1 person likes this.
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You can minimize the amount of fuel in the oil by ensuring the engine gets up to a reasonable temperature when driving in the city. You'll need a scangauge to watch the coolant temperature. Once you have one of these, you can block the lower grill to allow the engine to warm up more. With both grills open, in the city in fall/winter, you may notice the coolant rarely gets to the thermostat opening temp.

When you force it to warm up as above, the fuel will vapourize and be burned via the PCV system. This will lower the % in the oil, but there will always be some in there.

Too much fuel in the oil (I doubt there is a definitive number for this - it is likely a more is worse, less is better situation) will cause excess wear.

1 person likes this.
  6. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stop worrying. Its one of the reasons you have to change the oil.

1 person likes this.
  7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I do have ScanGauge and do block grills partially even during summer. The max coolant temp during each trip is in the low 190s(F) - well above the thermostat opening temp but maybe not up there long enough for the fuel to burn away. It seems to burn it away it needs highway driving where the ICE is running continuously. The wear numbers came back fine from the oil analysis.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On warm-up oil temperature lags coolant temperature by a good 10-15 minutes, sometimes more. It varies by car and driving cycle.