1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel indicator blinking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tim826, Oct 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tim826

Tim826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Hi brand new. Had a 2006 prius donated to my Nonprofit. When I turn it on the gas gauge blinks 2 bars briefly before all 10 bars start blinking. It wont switch into drive or reverse. And the combustion engine wont start. I replaced the 12 volt battery, and filled the gas tank full. Any ideas before I scrap it? Its catalytic converter was stolen and they put a straight pipe on it. It's possible the muffler broke off? Also it was really low on oil. I put in a quart. And the brake fluid was at minimum.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So, the fuel gauge will always show one blinking dot any time 12v power is removed and restored. This will clear once the fuel gauge recalibrates itself. Could be 2 minutes or 2 days.

Your situation is a bit different

gas gauge blinks 2 bars briefly before all 10 bars start blinking.

This type of blinking is indicative of a network communication problem. Could be connections, broken wire, ecu, etc. Is it a repeating pattern of blinks?

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are starting off in a pretty big hole with this car. No ICE function, won't shift, no cat, - who knows what shape the high voltage battery is in. Unless you need a parts car or enjoy trying to fix a basket case, I'd scrap it and move on.

If you want to try to go further you would need a Toyota compatible scan tool to see what codes there are in all of the car's modules. If there is a network comm problem (the scantool might not be able to talk to the car) then you have a whole new can of worms to deal with. Can be very challenging to figure that kind of thing out.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tim826 likes this.
  4. Tim826

Tim826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco

5. Tim826

Tim826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Sorry it took so long to get back on here. Its is just 10 bars blinking. No pattern. Just a steady blinking.