1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fuel injection cleaners?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Genoz World, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how many of you use chevrons techron fuel injection cleaner?

costco's got really good prices on them.......when do any of you use it? is it bad for the prii? how many miles? thanks!

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use an injector cleaner every couple of years. I use Fortron injector cleaner. I have seen it lower CO & HC emissions in pre catcon cars..

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Waste of money!!!

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Having suffered from a sticky throttle plate in the winter, in my fall maintenance I used the contents of this kit from my local Toyota service center:
    [​IMG]
    It includes the throttle plate cleaner, fuel injector cleaner and vacuum hose cleaner. I clean the throttle plate and dump the fuel injector cleaner in the tank. As for the vacuum hose cleaner, I don't have the special adapter needed so they haven't been cleaned, yet.

Bob Wilson

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    no point in cleaning the injectors on a car that new. unless you've run a bad tank of gas through it and have some remaining troubles.

6. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Personally speaking, injector fouling seems not a problem anymore like it was. Using name brand gas, that has the cleaners already, seems enough.

7. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fuel Injector Cleaner - Why ???

Before gasoline was sold as a fuel, it was sold as a cleaning solvent.

Keith

8. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah! What is fuel injector cleaner made of anyway?:noidea:

9. GNGMarc

GNGMarc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm no petroleum engineer, but for the last 10 years and 100's of cars repaired and 50 different products tried my shop, BG44K is the most effective fuel injector cleaner available...hope that helps

10. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don't twist the thinking here.
    Gasoline maybe a cleaning solvent like Zippo Fluid or Goo Gone, but they are being used in a non-combustion state. But during buring, gasoline as a fuel can be very dirty, it's a HydroCarbon product after all.

11. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, now I'm confused... In gasoline engines, the fuel injectors spray gas into the intake manifold. After it flows past the the intake valve, the gasoline is burned in the combustion chamber (against closed valves). Because gasoline is not burned in the immediate vicinity of the injector, unburned hydrocarbon products will not foul the injectors. Frankly, the only time that I've seen fouled fuel injectors is when the fuel is contaminated.

Keith

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gasoline is a mix of petroleum distillates. Some gasoline mixes are high in paraffins. Paraffins have been linked to deposits on the intake valves and elsewhere in the intake path. Some refiners add detergent packages to the gasoline to counteract the effect of the high paraffin content. Chevron Techron is an example of a very effective detergent. Toptiergas.com is a trade group that is pushing a standard for gasoline detergents. If the gas you use is on the list of products that conform to the toptiergas.com detergent specification, you should have no need to add any other type of cleaner to the gasoline. If you get a load of bad gas, a fuel system cleaner isn't going to help you. With the tight tolerances of the fuel pump and the injectors, you will be looking at having to replace components.

13. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i regularly use chevron gasoline, usually at the same station that i go to, it seems fine, but in my last car, an 06 caddy sts V8, the chevron techron fuel injection cleaner made the car seem to run better, at a gallon or so better fuel economy.

so, i'm just wondering should i do this with my new prius........not now, but later, with more miles. .........

would most people consider this necessary?

thank you in advance

14. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    im not gear head, but i feel most of these product's sold are not useful, especially for a well maintained car that is only a few years old. I could see maybe in a 5+year car with alot of miles, and it might help some.

I use shell or chev, whichever. Chev usually is a bit cheaper then shell gas for some reason. Right now it's 3.33 gal, while shell is 3.44 g..we have Rebel gas out here, which is locally owned, it's a good fuel also, but I will stick with just two brands

15. joephu

joephu New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree that most off the shelf additives is snake oil but Techron is surely not. It is exactly what Chevron uses as an additive in it's own gas formulation which is a Top Tier approved gasoline.

Techron recommends a treatment every 3,000 miles. I think that would be a worst case scenario regiment. If you are using fresh gas and keep you tank from running on E, I would say 1 to 2 treatments a year is a good start. I basically use a bottle every other oil change in all my cars which works out to about twice a year. Only my 1999 Saab 9-3 showed an improvement in gas mileage.

Stuff like BK44 and Seafoam are better for engines with lots of carbon build up. Where products like Techron, Redline SI-1, or Gumout Regane work better as mild cleaners/preventative maintenance.