1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Injection Service?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Kan, May 16, 2024.

1. Kan

Kan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I called a local dealer to check prices on their 30K miles services. I was told I needed to get fuel injection service done as part of routine service, that's besides getting the brake fluid flushed. When I asked if fuel injection cleaning was needed at 30K, he affirmed and said price was $214, but that he'd give me their current special of $75 off. I could see how brake flush could be done now, but fuel injection sounds like a major stretch.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely not. even the brake fluid is fine, but some say 3 years.

check out your maintenance schedule that came with the car

Mendel Leisk and Kan like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IIRC Toyota US says, for 30k miles or 36 months:

oil/filter change
    Tire rotation
    In-depth brake inspection

there’s some other stuff, but it’s near pure bs: vague mention of checking suspension bolt tightness for example, but no specifics, basically their lawyer’s suggestion.

the brake inspection stipulation is substituted for the usual “visual” inspection, and implies vaguely that it’s more in-depth. I would ask them about that. Or maybe another dealership.

FWIW, Toyota Canada stipulates the brake fluid should be changed every 48k kms (roughly 30k miles) or 36 months.

Neither Toyota USA or Canada makes any mention of fuel injection service. So when your dealership service department says it’s due, no if it buts, well you know they’re liars. No big revelation.

4. Kan

Kan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I also forgot to mention he wanted me to change cabin and air filters for $145, what a ripoff. No wonder they’ve earned the moniker stealership. All I’m gonna have them do is the oil change at their Welcome To Our Dealership card they sent me of $16. As to the filters, I’m gonna do those myself for about $50.

FuelMiser likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The reason to do the brake fluid is because water does get into it over time, which isn't good for a couple of reasons. There are some inexpensive testers that are simply dipped into the fluid to check if it is time for a change. In a dessert, the fluid should be good past two years.

The induction cleaning is something you can do your self. Subaru has a tool that makes it easy. I'll do it around 50k on the Outback, but the your Prime doesn't have direct injection, and the engine runs far less as a PHEV.

Kan likes this.