1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Injection System - question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Agape, May 13, 2013.

1. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be a dumb question, however can someone point me into the right direction, which Fuel injection system is used in Prius (2004-2009), engines 1NZ-FXE:

-Sequential Multi-Port Fuel Injection System (SFI)?

Sequential Injection System (S.F.I.)?

-Multi Point Injection System (MPIS)?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota characterizes its system as SFI. It is not clear to me what is the difference between the various systems you named.

3. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Patrick,
    the various systems names were taken from three different sites from the internet.

the first name was taken from the website selling parts.

the following two names were taken from the pdf's also from the internet.

Thank you for yours response.

I have received the following update from Toyota:

''...to answer your specific question, we can confirm that this model of Prius has an S.F.I. (sequential fuel injection) system.

Should you require any additional clarification on any of the foregoing, please contact me directly on ''

Regards,

Customer Relations Executive

Toyota Ireland
    Dublin
    www.toyota.ie

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding automotive fuel injection, I am aware of mechanical fuel injection systems and electronic fuel injection systems. Bosch Jetronic is the most notable example of a mechanical system, used in many European brands during the early-70s.

Electronic fuel injection systems can be characterized as two types:

multiport fuel injection, where each cylinder has a separate injector. The engine ECU controls electronic pulses to the injectors which meter fuel into the cylinders. Bosch L-Jetronic is a popular early example. There are European, Asian, and American designs which follow the basic concept. The Prius benefits from a modern implementation of this concept, with an engine ECU that controls spark timing, fuel injection, monitors the status of emissions controls, etc.

throttle body fuel injection, a less-costly design, where one or two injectors are located in a carburetor-like assembly located in the intake manifold. The intake manifold will convey fuel-laden air to the various cylinders. This is an older American design, GM for example used that for a while.

Agape likes this.