1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel injector cleaner . . . WOW!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I was walking up and down the isles at Costco last week and saw the four-pack of Chevron Pro-Guard Fuel Injector Cleaner. I figured I had the Prius for two years now and have used gas of questionable linage (mostly Costco gas :huh: ), and the four-pack was cheap . . . so I gave it a try.

Nothing to report on the tank with the cleaner, but the tank after . . . WOW!

Where I would normally be around 50 – 51 MPG on a mostly freeway driving tank, this last weekend, with a 260 mile round trip to San Jose, and the MFD mileage showing 310, my MPG is sitting at 56.2!!!! :eek:
    I never received that kind of mileage . . . not even early on after the break-in period.

Has anyone else used a fuel injector cleaner on your Prius and received better mileage after?

Is my mileage boost a fluke? Or were my injectors probably gunked-up?

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 9 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]330154[/snapback]</div>
    Since my knowledge of auto operation is pretty much limited to "gas pedal on the right, brake on the left", I couldn't tell you whether it was your injectors or a fluke.

But I'd be really interested to see what kind of results you get going forward. If you maintain the higher MPG, I'd say it's not a fluke.

3. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

I like to throw in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner that has the 'water removal' bullet on the label every winter, but am worried about that bladder that gives us PZEV status. I haven't seen any 'bladder' rated additives on any shelves yet, so I guess any water in my fairly new Pri's tank will have to remain.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaintStephen @ Oct 9 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]330192[/snapback]</div>
    Me too, same dilemma. I'd hope anything that was alcohol based would be pretty safe, but you never know. I probably need to figure this out before I drive my Prius to the frozen north this year, too.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaintStephen @ Oct 9 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]330192[/snapback]</div>
    Have you seen ANYTHING "bladder rated." :huh: <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 9 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]330204[/snapback]</div>
    It states on the box: “Contains no alcohol,†but it also states, "Helps remove water to fight gas line freeze."

I'm not worried about placing something in my bladder tank which Chevron puts in their gasoline.

The box also states: “Not recommended for air-cooled two-cycle engines.†But, I haven't heard any warnings from either Toyota or Chevron regarding bladder tanks.

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, same story here!

I bought the Chevron Pro-Guard 4 pack for $10 and everytime i use the a bottle my mileage jumps about 3-4mpg, BUT not forever. It usually lasts me only 2,000 to 3,000 miles. I haven't figured out the math to see if it is actually financially beneficial, but at least it keep the injectors cleaner!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. Toyota added the fuel injector cleaner to our Camry around the 60 or 70,000km service interval. Our fuel economy got better (from 10.9-11L/100km down to 10-10.5L/100km). I thought it was a gimmick that the dealer added to get extra money since it was NOT on the service interval but I don't think the transmission fluid change could've given that kinda mileage either.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 9 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]330299[/snapback]</div>
    Well, we can do the math for ya then :-p

It really depends on your current mileage as to your savings. if you get 50 MPG prior to adding the cleaner, and get a 3 MPG improvement over 2000 miles (using the minimum numbers to get the smallest improvement), you result in:

2000 miles / 50 MPG = 40 Gallons
    2000 miles / 53 MPG = 37.7 Gallons

So a 2.3 Gallon savings.

Lets say, instead, you're only getting 40 MPG before, and you realize a 4MPG improvement over 3000 miles (for the maximum savings)

3000/40 = 75 Gallons
    3000/43 = 69.7 Gallons

So a 5.3 Gallon savings.

From this, it's fairly clear that you can imagine graphing a plane in 3 dimensions (current MPG, effected distance, and improvement), where the high point would be at low current mileage, high improvement, and long effected distance.

Regardless, you said a 4 pack was 10 bucks... which means that each bottle (i assume it only takes 1 bottle per applique?) only costs 2.50, or a little more than current gas prices here in MN.

I'd say that if nothing else you're going to break even on it.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have one Costco user; what kind of crappy gas do you other guys use?

10. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    eagle, thanks for the mathematical analysis.

Even if i were to lose $.50, i'd be happy. I actually don't pour that stuff for gas mileage increase but to keep the injectors clean. Either way, it's a win/win so far.

11. NorwoodIV

NorwoodIV New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 10 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]330557[/snapback]</div>
    This might be at the root of it. I always buy Chevron. I have a friend who uses El Cheapo "flavor of the month." Unscientifically, we both came to the consensus that Chevron gas with detergent/Techron does seem to yield a very slight MPG improvement, over several tanks.

I've never tried the fuel injector cleaner. Sounds like a Red Bull...

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I should have been more scientific about this but I added some injector cleaner to see if my milage would come back up.

I added it to a full tank. I had been getting about 39-41mpg in the last 3-4 tanks. I also started driving just a tad bit slower. After that tank (39mpg) I refilled and drove 270 miles and refilled. I calculated it out to 51mpg and the computer said 47.8 or so.

I refilled before heading to the Bay Area and I'm still on the same tank. The computer is saying 47mpg and I am driving basically the same as I was before. 65mph average. Sometimes 70mph for a short distance and sometimes having to "floor" it to merge into traffic. SO with this same driving technique I am seeing about 6mpg better than I was prior to the injector cleaner according to the computer. Maybe be more or less once I calculate it out by hand.

Sorry for the non-exact numbers. I never write the stuff down but it is a marked difference when I first notice them. lol

My car is still under 15k miles.

13. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh and to add to this discussion. I know that the EPA has some tests to show that a lot of "cheap" fuel injectors cleaning don't work but i wanted to try it myself.

I bought the typical white GUM OUT fuel injector cleaning at Autozone on sale for $1/each. Well, it didn't do anything! No noticeable MPG difference.

Stick to the Chevron Progard. Get it at Costco $9.79/4pack

14. GasSippr

GasSippr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Fuel injector cleaner . . . WOW!

I was wondering how if you continue to use the Chevron Pro Guard and about how often? I have an acquaintance who is a mechanic and he swears by fuel injection cleaners for regular car and uses it every 3-4 fill-ups but that sounds like a lot.
    thanks,
    GS

15. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

That sounds about right. I use the lucas injector cleaner and it gives about a 5% increase in MPG, the cost of it offsets the increase in mileage, but for the next few tanks, I feel the engine runs more smooth.

The problem with things like this "Mechanic in a bottle" stuff (Fuel Injector cleaners/Oil additives) are it is very had to prove any benefit. But based on what my mechanic tells me, and personal experience, I would say its worth it. Just an opinion tho.

16. james78

james78 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Has anyone tried different gas for a couple of month to see if any makes better milage? Also I use costco gas because of the price but was told that they have a higher than the allotted 10% ethenol? I was told this by someone who had a BMW and had motor trouble and the dealership wouldn't repair under warranty because of this. The owner went to Costco got gas in a container and had it checked and it was almost 25%? Anyone else hear of anything like this?

Dino33ca likes this.
  17. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The consensus I've read is that Shell adds the best additives to their gas to keep an engine cleaner.

Immoral corn subsidies to big agribusiness (Ethanol) octane differences and additives aside, I remain skeptical of mpg differences between fuel companies on the fuel itself.

I will be able to test this in a not very scientific way because I had to refuel with Sunoco on my current tank, while for the past 4 years of ownership I have used Shell ~95% of the time.

18. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    same here. it helps, but it's not permanent and I think running a bottle every other month would suffice.

19. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A

You should be skeptical! Measuring fuel economy while driving on our roads is probably the least scientific way to compare one gas with another. Variables are countless - consider traffic, speed, weather, road surface and the list goes on. Many people find that they get better mileage after pouring in a bottle of fuel additive. I've tried that but have not been convinced of any improvement.

However I do find that my car runs better after washing and waxing. But that varies somewhat depending on the brand of wax.;)

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I agree. It's really hard to quantify the effects with eliminating most of the variables.

My post above is very old and i'm not sure I would have come to the same conclusion today. I am aware of more variables now. ;)