1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Injectors replacement issue???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Levi Gonzalez, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Levi Gonzalez

Levi Gonzalez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Replaced my injectors last night. I bought genuine (supposedly) Denso injectors on eBay (they came in wet and smelling like fuel. not a good sign).

But I went ahead and installed them anyways. And the metal bar the connect into is touching the plastic electrical connectors. In fact I'm afraid to crank the 2 bolts any further in fear of cracking the connectors. (see picture)

I actually have to clip on the connectors, THEN tighten the bolts. I don't know if this is normal.

Is this supposed to touch? If not, then did I do something wrong? or are the injectors just $h!t

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, but there are a lot of counterfeit plugs being reported, i wonder if they've hit injectors too

Levi Gonzalez likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you verify the part numbers on the injectors?

When installing the injectors, you want the room to be able to be twisting them lightly back and forth on axis while seating them into the head and the fuel rail. Without that, just tightening down the fuel rail bolts and hoping the O rings will slip in can leave you with misshapen injectors and a ruined day (as another PriusChat member experienced several years ago).

Your photo looks as if the connectors are so close against the rail as to leave you none of that wiggle room. I would be very cautious about that.

That other member with the deformed injectors and damaged O rings also ended up with a gasoline spray-fest in the engine compartment when the fuel pump power was turned on. I would be very cautious about that also. (When I had injectors out in my own car, I put them back in and simply jumped the fuel pump for an initial leak test, before even thinking about trying to start the car.)

4. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They're definitely on the fuel rail good. I can pop them out of the head and they are attached good on the fuel rail.

So the fuel rail should not touch those connectors like that? What do you think is causing that?

5. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They're definitely on the fuel rail good. I can pop them out of the head and they are attached good on the fuel rail.

So the fuel rail should not touch those connectors like that? What do you think is causing that?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That could be a good sign, or not. From a distance, it's hard to judge the different meanings of "on there good".

Beats me. Have you confirmed the part numbers on the injectors?

7. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    23250 37021 Are the new ones.

23250 37020 are the ones that came out of the car

The shape is exactly identical. And upon putting the old ones back in, they fit the same. So idk if the new ones are to blame. they're either meant to be that way or something.

The only difference is the color. this is a 2013 Prius so idk if the green color has darkened / aged in the last 10 years or so.

btw, is dialectic grease ok to put around the o-rings?

Attached Files:

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IIRC “spindle oil” or gasoline are recommended, in Repair Manual. Spindle oil is pretty esoteric stuff, and sells by the barrel? So gasoline? Think I’d be partial to dialectic grease too though.

Attached Files:

9. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thank you.

can you comment on those part numbers I mentioned? I don't know why the news ones end in "21" but all online "20" seems to be the correct part numbers.

The dimensions of both are the same

10. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And to be honest, I believe I actually purchased the "20"s and they just sent these "21"s instead. Possibly they're interchangeable?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, just being librarian. :)

Have you checked online Toyota parts retailers? McGeorge Toyota Parts is one.

12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s parts catalog says the service part number for a fuel injector assembly, with the injector, O ring, and vibration insulator, is 23209-39196, but it doesn’t give a part number for the injector itself.

The catalog is meant only to identify parts to be ordered from a Toyota dealer, however, not to tell you whether a part in hand is the correct one. Indeed, Toyota parts are often marked only with production part numbers, such as the ones you mentioned, that aren’t listed in the catalog at all.

That said, if the part numbers of the new and old parts differ only in the last digit, this suggests only a minor design change rather than a new design for a completely different engine.
    If the parts were sold under the DENSO brand, they may be used or counterfeit. As far as I can tell, DENSO sells fuel injectors for gasoline engines only to Toyota and other automakers, not directly to the aftermarket; at least, they aren’t listed on DENSO’s own Find My Part website or on the DENSOProducts.com website of Monarch Products, Inc., their full-line U.S. distributor.

13. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks for the info. But original problem still remains.

I attached all the injectors deeply seated in the fuel bar.

I push the bar and connectors into their holes.

I tighten the fuel bar bolts.

But then I can't attach the electrical connections Because the injectors plastic (at the receptacle) is snug against the edge of the metal fuel bar.

And there need to be at least a small gap there because the plastic electrical connectors need to slide OVER the injector's plastic. But there's not room for that.

I checked everything and I'm not sure what's going on.

I did the old injectors and they're doing the same thing.

So I know it's a user error. However I'm not sure which point I'm faulting at.

All 4 injectors are snug against the metal

14. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Really getting frustrated here with this issue, if anyone can help that would be great.

15. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t think it’s normal. In the installation procedure from the Repair Manual (more info, or see pages 13–15 in the excerpt from an older edition that @Mendel Leisk kindly shared in post #8), notice that the fuel delivery pipe sub-assembly is installed in step 3, but the engine wire harness, including the four electrical connectors for the fuel injectors, isn’t reconnected until step 5.

Mendel Leisk and Levi Gonzalez like this.
  16. Levi Gonzalez

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    found out the issue. The little red rubber spacers / washers were left over from the old ones + the ones that came with the new injectors and for some reason that made a difference.

It was STILL hard to push the connectors in but I got it eventually. whew