1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nwpa, May 22, 2007.

1. nwpa

nwpa New Member

I was in a group this morning and some were complaining about the price of motor fuel.

I mentioned the average MPG of my current tank in urban, stop and go driving as "only 42 MPG".

One person at once told me to just wait until the battery had to be replaced.

I mentioned the warrenty but did not get a chance to relate real world results of much greater than 100,000 miles.

Truth is so elusive!

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Prius HV battery replacements have been extremely rare to date. One reasonable symptom would be a decease in fuel economy; in fact I believe that one person in need of an HV battery did mention this happening.

However, there are quite a few other factors that can impact fuel economy, and much more likely than that one. Thankfully they are much cheaper and easier to address. They are frequent topics of discussion here.

My 2001 Prius now has 105k miles. Individual tanks go up and down, but there is no trend that would point to ol' HV. Others have much more on the odometer, with similar reports.