1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel pump hack useless

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by adric22, May 2, 2010.

1. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just an FYI - I know people have seen me post on here before about my idea of just driving my Gen-1 in EV mode all the time by disabling the fuel pump and using my Enginer kit. Well, I had disabled the fuel pump once before but just drove down my street. I'd been hesitant to try it on, for example, my trip to or from work because I didn't want to test it in traffic.

Well, today I took the car off to a deserted access road of a highway and pulled the relay. I was also on a steep down-hill grade so that I wouldn't stress the battery too much. Well, I quickly discovered that the Prius will not allow me to drive faster than 32 mph. Even though the car would actually probably go faster even from coasting the downhill grade, it actually began to turn on heavy regenerative breaking and simply would not allow the car to go any faster.

So, apparently the whole issue is moot because there is no way I can creep along at 32 mph. I may not need highway capability, but I have to do at least 45 mph or I'll create a traffic jam.

I'm very glad I waited to perform this test on a deserted road. I had thought many times about just pulling the relay in the morning and heading out to work. That would have been a mistake.

HOWEVER - I just thought I'd mention. That if somebody didn't need to go faster than about 30 mph, this would probably work fine. In fact, at that speed, from what I can tell of the amp draw, I believe my Enginer kit could supply enough constant power that the stock hybrid battery would not run down.

1 person likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps it makes sense to look for a high-power, block heater and transmission heater. This could start the day off in Stage-4. Then with the tickle charge from the Enginer kit and possibly, considering using a 12 V aux, plug-in kicker, you might get closer to 80 MPG. Just a thought.

I've run out of gas over three dozen times and my goal in each case was to get to a safe parking place to refuel. So I would usually shift into "N" and coast down to the slowest, safe speed to reach my goal. Then use "D" to get down the road a bit. Extended EV was not my goal.

Still, thanks for doing the test. Too many haven't done the hard work.

Bob Wilson

3. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, at this point most of my enthusiasm for getting useful EV out of this prius is just about gone. I've already pre-ordered my Nissan Leaf so at this point, I'll just continue to do the best I can with what I have until the Leaf gets here.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not many would carry the load as far as you did. You've contributed to our knowledge of the NHW11 and that is helpful.

Bob Wilson

5. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today Austin and I tried this. It worked, but was putsy, slow, and not worth it. If a person doesn't mind the steps and installs a supplement to the battery, such as enginer, it could effectively create a Nev.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From what I can tell, the best way to tweak an NHW11 is pay attention to warm-up and heat conservation. Aerodynamic mods help too. But trying to make it into an EV without your own software and controller is not going to be very successful.

Bob Wilson

7. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh wow, I tried pulling the EFI fuse in the 2010 Prius. It did the same thing, and I kept an eye on the state of charge. When I get my enginer kit back in, I might see about installing a switch for that for neighborhood cruising when there are safe places to pull over. It's quite cool. It seems to only use one of the 2 motor-generators though.

Everything worked except for the PCS system. I'm guessing that it didn't like that it couldn't read the fuel injection to cut it off in an accident situation? Not sure.. but the PCS system didn't like it. :)

This car is a beast. I won't say what else I did, but it involved high voltage and water and all it did was throw a code! Needless to say, I will admit if I go in with a problem it won't be covered under warranty. LOL I think I would find a way to work through it in a fun way though. I plan on keeping the car for it's life anyways. It has been SO much fun!

8. gene23

gene23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One man's useless is another man's useful...

I force EV by switching open the throttle control power line to the Engine ECM.

Engine dies more or less under control, throws a couple of codes, but goes all electric. FYI, the EFI fuse in the Gen 1 kills display functions which like the SOC meter are key when running all electric.

So with a 3kw converter, on the flat I can do maybe 20-25mph continuos. Laws of physics rule...

With my 5kw converter, I can push all the way to the 35mph limit.

Going up hills is the limiting factor, I plan to run both converters for short uphill stretches.

So for my 1.5+1.5 mile commute on neighborhood streets, with 2 converters and 6kwh pack, I can go 100% electric. Which is exactly what I had set out to do.

If I need more than 35mph (or drain the Enginer), I pull over, flip a switch, restart the Prius and off I go...

Regards,

Gene

9. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to learn more about how you did that modification, pictures, diagram, etc. if possible.

10. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree! Please tell more! Where is the wire, and I also realized that. However, if you reinstall the fuse after the car codes, (can even clear the code with a scangauge if you want to) The car still stays in EV only mode, but the SOC comes back on the display!

11. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you get the dreaded triangle coming up on the dash. I guess that there is no other choice but to pull over and restart to clear error code.

12. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gene, could you point us in the right direction to find that wire?

13. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scanning through the service manual I have on CD, I noticed a test procedure for the fuel pump. Looks like the tech's can merely power the pump with a temporary ground and positive connection from the accessory battery to a couple of pins of the fuel pump connecter under the back seat.

This wiring is easily accessed, and I am wondering if others here think it would be safe to just break or open the +12 wire in that harness, to simulate an out of fuel error on the car?

If it's not harmful for the fuel pump or any other system, I suspect that wire could be located at a side panel connection, and install an on/off switch inline.

I ask this, because if I'm remembering correctly, when I ran out of fuel while on the highway at highway speeds once, the vehicle in EV mode at that point allowed me to maintain speeds much higher than 34mph.

Granted the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, but with the Scangauge II, this might be clearable, I don't know.

If the above is not a good idea, how about inserting a 12volt valve inline with the fuel line close to the fuel rail. It could be opened/closed with the touch of a switch easily, and control fuel to the engine.

I've scanned the Engine ECM schematic over, and just can't find that " Throttle Control Power Line "