1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wafwat, Nov 20, 2021.

1. wafwat

wafwat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Afternoon everyone!!! I came back from dropping some stuff off at Good will and was walking through the garage to go inside and heard a "hum". Upon further investigation I discovered the "V" was the culprit. It is coming from rear drivers side. Fuel pump? The car has been parked since last night around 7pm. Have not opened any doors or brought fob near the car. So I went and got the fob and opened the door, sound did not stop. Put foot on brake and hit power button. Sound stopped and car in READY mode. And as normal within a few minutes the ICE started. I did search the forums but didn't find much or I wasn't using the right "term" to search.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

V

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are hearing the self-test of the evaporative emission control system, which happens several hours after the car is parked, when the fuel temperatures and pressures have returned to ambient.

Page 8 in your owner's manual.

evap.png

wafwat likes this.
  3. wafwat

wafwat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ahhhh....... that makes sense..... So I guess by "approximately" they mean whenever. ha.. I would say this happened about 14-18 hours after it was parked.

Another possibility was that the garage door was open and sun was shinning on the back of the car and may have "warmed" up the fuel tank and "engaged" the evap leak test. :)

All in all, good to know!!! Much appreciated!!!

V