1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Quantity Per Distance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by skruse, Jun 20, 2008.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Posting a vehicle's fuel efficiency in "Liters per kilometer" or "gallons per mile" rather than "kilometers per Liter" or "miles per gallon" would help consumers make better decisions about car purchases and environmental impact, researchers from Duke University's Fuqua School of Business report in the June 20 issue of Science magazine.

Inspired by debates they had while carpooling in a hybrid car, management professors Richard Larrick and Jack Soll ran a series of experiments showing that the current standard, miles per gallon or mpg, leads consumers to believe that fuel consumption is reduced at an even rate as efficiency improves. People presented with a series of car choices in which fuel efficiency was defined in miles per gallon were not able to easily identify the choice that would result in the greatest gains in fuel efficiency.

Gallons Per Mile Would Help Car Shoppers Make Better Decisions

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link.

This is what a lot of us have been talking about for quite some time especially in regards to the Tahoe hybrid. Fuel usage is tricky and doesn't always follow intuition. The fact remains that swapping from a 15mpg vehicle to a 20mpg vehicle will save a lot of fuel, yet swapping from a 15mpg vehicle to a 50mpg vehicle saves even more. :)

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    U.S. drivers should think in gallons per mile: report - Yahoo! News

Here's the yahoo link. I personally think the best ratio to elucidate how much pain you're enduring would be $/mile.

For simple math purposes let's say hypothetically we're at $5/gallon(next year it's coming, so it won't be hypothetical then). Car A, the prius at 50 mpg would give us 10 cents a mile. Now take a typical midsize sedan Car B which gets 25 mpg. That's 20 cents a mile. Now take a typical supersize 8 cylinder SUV Car C which get's 12.5 mpg. That's 40 cents a mile.

Now over the next 10,000 miles you pay in gas:
    Car A $1000
    Car B $2000
    Car C $4000

Over the next 100,000 miles you pay:
    Car A $10,000
    Car B $20,000
    Car C $40,000

Over 300,000 miles for those who like to drive their cars into the ground
    Car A $30,000
    Car B $60,000
    Car C $120,000

People always like to talk about time it takes to pay back. It depends on the miles you drive. But if you drive 100,000 miles, not only does it pay back, but if you're driving Car C, you've paid more in gas to actually buy Car A free and clear. And if you drive 300,000 miles, you've paid more gas to buy 3 Car A's free and clear.

4. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting concept, but probably not as useful as the mpg we normally use. We are used to looking at "18" or "35" miles a gallon, which tells us we are getting better mileage, and thus spending less money, as that figure rises. The "xx gallons per mile" adaptation is understandable only as the number of gallons fall. The example uses 100 miles or 1,000 miles or 10,000 miles. That figure leads to a whole number for gallons (with decimal points here and there). If we stated "5.5 gallons per 100 miles", we also could state ".055 gallon per mile, and most people couldn't visualize the number of gallons used. Again, nice idea, not practical for most of us.

5. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

And add min/max of PER PERSON. A two seater that gets 50 mpg get less done than a 5 passenger that get 35 mpg.

min: if only driver
    max: butts in every seat.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The correct metric standard if USA ever grows the kahunas to make the change is litres per 100 kilometres or L/100km.

100 kilometres is used to make the litres whole numbers which people seem to find more friendly. People can cope better reading 4.3L/100km than 0.043L/km, the later looks too scientific and would cause many consumers eyes to glaze over so by using 100km as the base distance a more familiar 4.3L with no additional zeros.
    I guess you could use millilitres or cubic centimetres but again this requires a conversion for people to understand as they buy their petrol in litres, well they would if the USA caught up.
    L/100km give a nice simple tool to estimate fuel consumption for a trip too. If I leave Adelaide to drive to Melbourne, a distance of about 700km and I know my Prius gets 5.1L/100km on the highway I can do some simple grade 2 maths (7 x 5.1 = 35.7) to work out I will use about 36 litres for the trip.
    At 46mpg over the same journey of about 450 miles I need to use grade 3 maths (450/46 = 9.78 gallons)

I don't like the article much though, I believe it is a piece written by a representative of the US auto industry

they tell me by reducing consumption from 18mpg to 28mpg I save 198 gallons over 10,000 miles
    And they tell me that reducing consumption from 34mpg to 50mpg saves 94 gallons over 10,000 miles
    But nowhere has it stated you will save 355 gallons if you switch from a car getting 18mpg to a car getting 50mpg, why not? That is you will save a further 75% if you make the switch from a toy truck(18mpg) that makes you a man to a Prius(50mpg) that shows you have grown up, rather than a 4 cylinder chev(25mpg) which show you can't think for yourself.
    One thing is does highlight, is how stupid H1 Hummer drivers were to buy a car that uses 1,000 gallons of gas to drive 10,000 miles when a turbo diesel Land Cruiser has more room inside and would use only about 20mpg or 500 gallons for the same trip.

And if you would like to know if the site is based have a look at this link I lifted from the site.
    Thirsty Hybrid And Electric Cars Could Triple Demands On Scarce Water Resources

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A