1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Tank Fill Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim S, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Jim S

Jim S Jim S

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got my Prius in Feb 08 and have had problem 3 times with pump cutting off constantly and not putting gas into tank. First time, dealer replaced canister filter. Second time year later, tech found no cause but made me run it until down to one bar on gauge to troubleshoot.....no cause found. Last week, 3rd time had to go to couple pumps and finally last pump cut off twice and then finally pumped gas in.

Anybody have any knowledge into this car system fault before I try to yell fuel tank lemon. Also I am not sure one technician may have skill to find real cause. At this point, I don't trust it and expect continued problems with this.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had this happen to me on the 06' prius. All I do is start pumping the handle gradually until it's about 1/2 open, then hold it (by hand) there for a few seconds then if you want it to pump faster open it from there. If you pump too fast though it will froth up in the pipe which is probably what you're experiencing. With only a ten something gallon tank it doesn't take too long to fill it on half pump, and then it'll be full full, not frothed full..

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds right, go slow as see what happens if you havn't already tried. i have an 08 but no prblems filling. sorry i can't offer better advice.:cool:

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is normal. The Gen II Prius puts more back pressure on the pump fillers, and some of them can't cope with it. You will experience this problem from time to time.

There have been many suggestions:

1) Put the nozzle in upside down.

2) Lift up on the nozzle.

3) Let the tank vent for a few minutes after opening the gas cap.

4) Remove the rubber seal around the filler opening.

5) Use a very slow fill rate.

I'm not sure how well any of them work. I always use a slow fill rate, and lift the nozzle, but even then I find a bad pump once in awhile.

Tom

5. turnbowm

turnbowm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was experiencing the same fill problem and the solution for me (previously posted) is as follows:

I put the pump nozzle fully into the Prius filler opening and then place my finger between the nozzle seal (rubber) and the place where the seal contacts the Prius (not the filler hole), thus creating a gap between the two. This allows the system to vent, avoiding pressure buildup. My finger remains in place until the pump shuts off.

I have used the above method numerous times without any more problems.

6. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I put the pump nozzle fully into the Prius filler opening and then place my finger between the nozzle seal (rubber) and the place where the seal contacts the Prius (not the filler hole), thus creating a gap between the two. This allows the system to vent, avoiding pressure buildup. My finger remains in place until the pump shuts off.

This very well could be the answer. Just wanted to clarify for others like me who live in a state with less pollution and fewer laws, you are referring to the vapor recovery nozzles that have the added rubber nozzle seal. The one image I could find; looks like such.

[​IMG]

This site advertises an aluminum 'key' to help hold back the rubber, motorcycles have problems with this fuel nozzle as well. I would probably make something out of nonmetallic material if/when I need one , but am posting it as a reference.
    http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/odds-ends/e-z-fill-nozzle-key.html

7. turnbowm

turnbowm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes - I am referring to the vapor-recovery nozzle. My fill problems started when the new vapor-recovery systems were installed in So. Calif. gas stations last year.

8. Jim S

Jim S Jim S

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thanks all. I have always used the middle click nozzle position. I'll try these various methods and see what happens and also discuss with local Toyota service mgr.
    Jim

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We don't have vapor recovery nozzles, but I still occasionally have trouble. The Prius filler neck has a seal which keeps air from exiting the filler neck. Back pressure from this can also trip the pump nozzle.

Tom

10. jomo

jomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow - I am happy to find this thread - I just joined and I'm suddenly having similar problems with my 2004. It never takes more than 8 gallons and yesterday it would only take two!

Should I fool around with this or take to dealership? I'm way under $500.00 for total repairs on this 8 year old vehicle and I'd hate to lose those bragging rights.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Eight gallons is a normal fill for a Gen II Prius. The tank has a listed gross capacity of 11.9 gallons. Due to normal factors plus the tank bladder, only about 10 gallons are usable. Unless you wait to fill until you are out of gas on the edge of the road, 8 gallons is about all that will normally go in.

As for occasional trouble filling, that is also normal. Try the suggestions listed in this thread. Your dealer will be of no help, as this problem is a design issue.

Tom

12. mkaboos

mkaboos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Always use the slowest fill speed on the gas nozzle. I'm pretty sure I read that in the manual somewhere when I first got my Prius. I remember having issues the first couple times I filled, but once I started using the slowest setting, I have only had a couple times it didn't work, then I just backed the nozzle out a little and that seemed to work.