1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fuel Tank Suddenly Takes No More Than 7 Gallons...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pre~us, Jan 29, 2013.

1. pre~us

pre~us Maverick~

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings~

We have an 05 with 160,000 miles on it. In December, we took a trip from SW Wisconsin to New Mexico. Along the way, in some situations where it was very cold, I noticed that the gas pump would automatically shut off as if the tank was full, even tough I knew it was near empty, and this was happening even at very slow fill speeds. I also noticed that I could never get the tank to take more than 7 gallons or so. The auto shut off issue happened several times on the trip but now rarely if ever happens, but I still cannot put more than 7 gallons of fuel in, and this last time I filled when my gauge was at one bar, I got to 7.2 gallons, auto shutoff of the pump occurred, I tried again very slowly to top it off, auto shutoff happened right away, then when I started the car the gauge still read one bar shy of full. This is maybe the first or second time this has happened. Generally the gauge reads full after 7 or so gallons up from reading at one bar after filling. Also, in the summer we were easily driving over 500 miles on a tank. Now we are lucky to drive 300. I have heard the the tank is not solid, but is a bladder of some sort? Or contains a bladder? Makes me wonder about air displacement, or if the bladder is too stiff in the winter, or is somehow defective? The car was in at Toyota recently for a couple of recalls, and they couldn't find anything wrong with the fuel system without charging me the $99 to go in and reset it. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Thank you,
    Peter.

2. RedskinPrius

RedskinPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a bladder in the tank that is impacted by cold weather. My 2007 never takes more than around 7 gallons. I usually fill up when there its two bars left so it is not totally empty.

I get a little over 300 but could push it if I had to, but running the Prius empty is bad.

SCH-I605 ? 2

xpcman likes this.
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your car has bladder problems brought on by the cold. This is one of the most common topics on this board.......
    Learn to search...

4. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Obvious solution.

You drove to New Mexico. Probably picked up a hitchhiker unbeknownst to you and yours, looking to get away from the border after an illegal crossing.

Sorry to say, he's lying dead in your gas tank. Picked a bad place to hide. Totally explains the lost capacity.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. pre~us

pre~us Maverick~

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know how to search quite well thank you. I ran a query for fuel tank and found very little, hence my post.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, the search feature here on PC doesn't work that well. Try Google, and you will have no problems finding information posted here on PC as well as other sources online.

Google

You are not the only one who questions the fuel capacity of the Prius.

Ron

pre~us likes this.
  7. pre~us

pre~us Maverick~

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you~ I have found that out by accident a few times! I did just search the forum with only the search term "bladder" and got quite a lot on the subject. It was not the first word that came to mind when wanting to learn more about this.
    Peter.