1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fuel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prdunson, May 13, 2006.

1. prdunson

prdunson New Member

Does any body know how far till empty when the last light bar comes on??

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The amount of fuel left when the last bar blinks tends to vary from car to car.

Conventional wisdom suggests that you fill up immediately if the bottom bar begins to flash.

On my first fillup, I got the flashing bar on a freeway (US101 in Central California, near Camp Roberts). There is no fuel for almost 30 miles on the highway, so we just watched the blink and kept our fingers crossed, figuring we had a gallon or more.

I stopped at the first opportunity, having watched the blink with increasing anxiety, not willing to risk another seven miles to the next large town. We added 10.24 gallons at the 484-mile mark, which was quite a bit for an 11.9-gallon tank.

Nowadays, my schedule allows me to fill the tank when it's about half empty; I fuel in towns 20-40 miles away to save 30c/gallon. I see no need to run it way down.

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I've gotten 25 to 28 miles past the last bar being the only one left before the "add fuel" message came on.

under 10 miles past that, I gassed up, so I'm not sure how long until I would need to walk.

There are plenty of cases where people on here have run their cars out. It seems that you can't really count on it after the add fuel thing happens.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< The quick answer is "NO" - no one KNOWS how much fuel remains due to the peculiarities of the fuel tank bladder.

When I reach the last "pip" I add fuel. The consequences of running out of fuel are too risky and unpredictable to "push the issue." Depending on my plans (like a long road trip imminent) I sometimes add fuel earlier than the last "pip."

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 13 2006, 09:34 AM) [snapback]254761[/snapback]</div>
    I filled the car up this afternoon. The gauge dropped to one bar at the 504 miles mark. The beep sounded and the bar started blinking at 533. I filled it up at 539. It took 10.563 gallons. The MFD read 53.3 and my manual calculation was 51.02. That was a fairly typical tank. My worst mileage was 45.9 (shortly after I got the car). My best 57.3. I have not had a tank under 50 mpg in well over a year.

OK, it is time for a certain poster from Texas to call me a liar.

7. avipet

avipet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I ran out of gas and was close to a station so immediately coasted in to the pump. I was surprised it only took 10.5 gallons to fill my 11.9 gallon tank that was empty. Any good explanations for this.

8. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Remember, the Prius uses a fuel bladder... capacity may vary depending on temperature and other factors.

9. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why wait so long?
    Let's face it... with gas prices about $3 a gallon it's much less painful filling up at 1/2 tank than near empty!

10. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i wouldnt know how long the fuel would last till the last bar......i usually fill up once a week. ... with my current driving, it only takes 1/4 tank to last me that week....so a fill-up at the current rates in fla ($2.91/gal) usually runs around $10-11.

i just got my fuel bill for the month...it was great....all of $60....& thats taking 2 trips/wk out of my normal schedule....i went to the gas station to fill up & i saw $49 already registered & i'm thinking- wow! that would last me almost one month!

it really feels good to be green! i would have to say.....THIS was one the best decisions i have made! the other major one was acquiring a home in south florida before the prices made it impossible to own! i am blessed! :rolleyes: :lol: :)

11. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ May 13 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]254811[/snapback]</div>

That quote should be given to every new Prius owner when they take delivery of the car! :)

12. furkidsnprius

furkidsnprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prdunson @ May 13 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]254754[/snapback]</div>
    Not I said the fly. :lol: But I did drive for 10.2 miles after the beep and flashing last bar, at 5 AM your fuel choices are limited! This was on my second tank of 2006 Prius.

13. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ May 13 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]254761[/snapback]</div>
    Shouldn't that be "when it's about half full"??? :D

14. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prdunson @ May 13 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]254754[/snapback]</div>
    Mine drove around 40 miles until the last bar started blinking and I got the add fuel message. I was near a gas station and filled it up- 9.3 gal in a 12 gal tank (bladder). Every body says it will go quite a while with the bar blinking.

15. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In my 2004 Prius I would regularly go 45 to 50 miles when the last bar started flashing and never put in more than 10.2 gallons.

In my 2006 Prius I ran out of gas about 7 miles after the last bar started flashing.

This has definitely made me more conservative as to when i fill up.