1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Full Speed Cruise Control How Good in Stop n Go Freeway?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 17, 2016.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Freeway grind, stop and go commuting. How good is the Full Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control? Is it about as good as you would drive it in same traffic?

TIA

Seems like a great feature. TIA.

Ok, I'll go first. Test drove a Three Touring out of Piercey Milpitas n got into stop and go freeway for a bit. Yes, the DRCC works, brings car to complete stop. On way home in old Accord, waste of time to set cruise control on 880 freeway. End up cancelling it after bit anyway. Full speed DRCC seems must have to me.

2. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I use drcc everywhere.
    In intown traffic, after a stop, it recovers too slow, so you must take control. Push on the gas, and do what you need to do, when up to speed, take you foot off, and let drcc take over.

In a 5 mile backup, tap the resume, or tap the gas, let drcc take over, in this situation everybody is in zombie mode anyway.
    If thats not good enough, push on the gas and do what you have to do, take your foot off, and let drcc take over.

Whats cool if the car ahead crawls, the drcc crawls. When it stops, it is 2 yards behind, a conservative gap.

cycledrum likes this.
  3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in SoCal and the DRCC works great. I use the setting that gets closest to the car in front of you because the other settings are only a bit too far away. When there is traffic, the car comes to a complete stop and all you have to do is flick the cruise control stalk up or tap on the accelerator. When somebody cuts me off (happens all the time:mad:), the car reacts very quickly and slows down so you won't hit the car in front of you.

DRCC is a no-brainer!

cycledrum and krmcg like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    6 years with DRCC on the Gen 3 and many road trips, I agree with you. The Gen 4 kicks it up a notch and brings it down to 0 (the Gen 3 cancels out below 40kph/25mph). There is a delay in starting on the Gen 4. It makes it look like you weren't paying attention cause the car ahead would be almost a car length away before the Gen 4 starts moving.

cycledrum likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Can't respond to the DRCC performance but the one on my wife's Subaru works excellent in these conditions. If it comes to a complete stop for more than a second or so, it will remain there until you either tab the resume switch or push the gas pedal. It will also notify you the vehicle in front of you has moved on if you sit there for more than a second or two (hello dumbass!). :)

It works best with the CC speed set closer to actual traffic speeds. For example if set to 75 mph, it will try to take off if enough distance suddenly opens up like when several cars just in front of you exit at the off-ramp. In gridlock, I'll set it for 25mph for smoother performance.

It's a wonderful drivers aid and worth the money just like the original CC.

cycledrum likes this.
  6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When car stops itself, does it hold itself still without driver holding brake pedal?
    I forgot to notice that, but I'm guessing it does.

#6 cycledrum, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it does. It's like an AUTO HOLD feature on other luxury cars (and oddly enough, the new Civic too). I believe the manual says there's a 3 minute timer. After 3 minutes, DRCC will cancel itself and the brakes will release.

Tried it again in the city. This time, I used one bar distance. It brakes later and harder than the Gen 3. I tried both RES and tapping the accelerator. I find tapping the accelerator gives it a quicker response (But you risk tapping too early and the system hasn't detect the car in front moving yet). More experimenting is needed but one bar plus accelerator tap seems to give the quickest response when traffic moves again.

Neat note: Say you're moving into the left turn lane and there's no one in front of you. The car will give the "Cruise control cancelled. No preceding vehicle detected" and I decided to let it do its thing and it slowly braked to 0. Granted, I was 1.5 car lengths away from the stop line but it was cool that it didn't continue on its speed and just automatically slowed to a stop. In the Gen 3, it'll just accelerate back to the set speed.

*Please note I only tried it once. I'm not responsible if the car doesn't stop and you end up hitting someone. Always pay attention and drive responsibly. :)*

krmcg and cycledrum like this.