1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fully Compatible Bluetooth Phones

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by claytonroadie, Feb 15, 2006.

1. claytonroadie

claytonroadie New Member

I've been lurking on here ever since I bought my 2006 Prius in Dec. '05. This is my first post because I can normally find any info I am looking for by search, but in this case I'm overwhelmed by the amount of posts about bluetooth phones and the dialogue about what does and does not work.

So... I wanted to request that anybody who has purchased a Prius bluetooth compatible phone (that is still available) share the make, model, service provider, and price. I ask that this thread be used just as a reference list as there seems to already be many threads dedicated to stories of bluetooth related frustrations and phonebook uploading advice.

I currently have Nextel through my work but am very disappointed with the service and phone selection. I am personally looking for a new service and a Prius compatible phone with camera, but as a resource for others, please list any phone that works.

And by "works" I mean at a minimum auto answer, call waiting, phonebook uploading (please note all-at-once or one-at-a-time). Also appreciated: battery status and signal strength on MFD.

I realize there is another forum that has dealt with this but it seems to have more information about phones that don't work than about those that do. ALL Bluetooth Cell phones that work in the Prius

The salespeople at the various cellular stores I've visited in the S.F. bay area have been clueless at best.
    Thank you for your help
    (p.s. I hope I did alright for my first post)

2. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

Personally have used a both a Sony Ericsson T68i and T610 with T-mobile, and both have worked well.

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A few weeks ago I bought a Sony Ericsson K750i. Connects well with my 2005 Prius and seems OK so far but I haven't used it much yet. Before I bought it I was told that the battery wouldn't last long when Bluetooth is switched on but so far I've kept it switched on 24 hrs a day and the battery lasts at least a week, probably much more.

4. wagman

wagman New Member

Me and my wife each have a Motorola V710 camera phone. Our provider is Cellcom. The phone works well. Auto connects when you enter the car and preforms well. However we could not get the telephone book to transfer either all or one at a time so we had to enter each manually. Bill & Nancy

5. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Phone: Motorola V551
    Provider: Cingular
    MFD: Displays signal strength only
    Phonebook: One at a time transfer of entries.

I believe that Autoanswer and Call waiting are controlled by the phone itself, not the prius. i.e I don't think you can use the MFD to answer a call-waiting call, that appears to have be done through the phone handset itself. In theory, autoanswer should work fine, if the phone is set to use it. I haven't tried it, though.

Battery life on the V551 seems to be fine. I have bluetooth enabled all the time so that the phone is automatically connected whenever I get in the car. I can go at least 3 or 4 days with moderate use before being forced to charge the phone. Given that I was using an LG-L1400 (non-bluetooth) which a battery life of about a day, this is a huge leap forward.

My one complaint about the Prius Bluetooth Handsfree system is that it is a half-duplex speaker phone. i.e only one person can talk at a time. Still, it's very nice to have in the car and now I never miss a call because I have the stereo turned up too loud. :)

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm suprised no one has said Treo 650 yet.

7. Truffles

Truffles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My LG V (VX9800) with Verizon works great.

1. Displays battery and signal strengths.
    2. Displays caller id
    3. Have to manually enter phone book one at a time.
    4. I was in middle of contract, so phone cost me $399.

8. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have been using Moto V551 (now 557) of Cingular.
    As some said above, it works well in term of sound quality and connection.

Recently, I bought a Sony Ericsson W600i (Walkman phone with MP3 player and FM Radio - 256M). It is such a great phone that pals my old Moto V551. Adding the SE W600i to Prius is very simple. The SE supports many profiles (more than Prius can handle). The phone contact transfer seems to be one by one :( (but I haven't tried it - no need yet). I bought it off eBay for $200 new (MSRP $399). I just made a phone call for 22 minutes (poor reception area) and the battery did not even drop a bit. The Prius only show signal strength (no battery icon, if I remember correctly - like V551) Besides, the recption seems to be much better than Moto V551 based on my recent calls (received and sent).

Also, lots of free download on SunyEricsson.com for their phones. Much better supported than Moto. I highly recommend it. The pre-installed 3D Snowboading game is unlike other cell phone games. It is almost Nintendo-Gameboy level...

If anyone is interested in this phone, I could tell you more about it.
    I researched RAZR, but due to its poor battery life (from reviews) large foorprint (though very thin), I decided against it. Besides, you need the newer RAZR V3x to have the MP3 capability (coming out in Feb. for Cingular) B)

9. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This past weekend I bought the i870 Nextel phone. I'm not too sharp but I got it paired in a timely manner. Uploading the phone book is one at a time, but it works. Hands free works great. I attached some voice tags and can call my numbers using voice commands and steering wheel button/s. I had someone call me in the car using DC and it worked (I could hear them) ... but I haven't figured out how to respond. The phone and car link up fast and automatically ... I had someone at work send me a direct send photo ... it showed up on the MFD! Only kidding about the photo.

I'm happy.

10. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You know, I just have to say, I think it is shows such courage when people post their own picture as their avatar! Good for you!
    :D

11. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

I've got the Motorola RAZR with AT&T and have no complaints. Phone book transfer is one at a time but pretty painless, I thought. I get quite a kick out of the whole hands-free thing and answering the phone with a button on the steering wheel. 'Course with others in the car there isn't any privacy but I'm mostly by myself so it isn't a problem.

12. berkley

berkley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok what phone(s) works with prius and T.Mobile??

13. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Verizon Razr will not allow voice calling or phone book. it syncs and allows great hands free recption. Still need to look at phone to make an outgoing call