1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fully equipt Volt Mule/Prototype hit the road today

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by efusco, Apr 24, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Concept Site » Blog Archive » BREAKING: First Lithium-ion Prototype Chevy Volt Running

The Detroit News today reported an interview with GM vice-chairman Bob Lutz. Lutz verified for the first time publicly that a Chevy Volt prototype with an actual full-sized lithium ion battery is actually running.

and
    Breaking rules not bad thing for Lutz

The Volt, as we all know, is GM's green machine. The extended-range electric vehicle is being promised for delivery in 2010 and being road tested today. Spare yourself the late night spy photo stakeouts. The "Volt" is actually a late-model Chevy Malibu being used to test the powertrain.
    "We've got the first car running (with lithium-ion batteries) ... and what the guys get on 'sightings' is a picture of an old Malibu with black wheels and a very long extension cord," he said chuckling at the thought.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wake me when actual detail is provided. I'm interested in operational information, not a vague test drive in ideal conditions. For example:

Li-Ion chemistry has a fundamental shortcoming of not being able to accept much charge in below freezing temperatures. How exactly is that problem being addressed?

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They wont sell in cold markets maybe?
    Good on em for moving ahead to testing.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wow !! How sutupid am i ?
    I look at a Malibu, and call it a Malibu. GM puts a different power plant in it? I still call it a Malibu. Who knew that a Malibu, with different drag coefficient issues, qualifies as a Volt. Heck, I'm surprised you can't call a Peterbuilt a Volt then. But like I said ... I must be way stupid. :confused:

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dude chill lol.

It's just a prototype.. like how Honda would use an S2000 shell on its sports car prototype or Toyota used a Crown body as a disguise.

6. kmstampe

kmstampe Look out here comes Ozzie!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found some of the comments under "BREAKING: First Lithium-ion Prototype Chevy Volt Running" too funny! Some really optimistic opinions on this thing hitting the ground running (and running right the first time!).

ETA.
    Sorry, but I just found this one too funny!
    "GM will change the world. Economics, politics and ecology all will be changed for the better. Not since Armstrong landed on the moon was there such a momentous occasion. This technological leap will spring us forward in directions we have not yet imagined.Other industries will benefit by making electrics available to everyone. Solar and wind will be funded in ways not seen in the past. Big oil is grabbing desperately for every penny they can get.But, like big tobacco they are fighting lawsuits about excessive profits. And, like big tobacco, they are losing. All that money they are grabbing is slipping from their fingers.GO GM."

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My LiFePO4 Xebra has no problems in below-freezing weather. The Lead-Acid Xebras seem to lose about half their range at 30 degrees, but mine, with lithium, does not lose any noticeable range.

Some folks seem to be using the term "Li-Ion" for any lithium battery. But the LiFePO4 is a very different chemistry from the laptop batteries we normally call "Li-Ion," and I thought GM was using LiFePO4. (LiFePO4 has slightly less energy density than Li-Ion, but is much more stable, is not subject to thermal run-away, and can operate at much higher temperatures.)

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is a prediction - GM will kill the Volt (although kill presumes something that came to life, so it may be the wrong term) with the excuse that the Li-Ion battery pack just couldn't overcome real-world requirements....

I would love to be proven wrong....

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I fear you are right. However, as more and more EVs come out from minor companies, GM is going to look mighty foolish.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not necessarily from their perspective. They are in the process of moving to China. In 20 years, they will be out of the N.A. market. Probably change from a U.S. corp. to Hong Kong.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I disagree. GM is a transnational corporation. They will build cars wherever they feel it's cheapest to do so, and sell them wherever people will buy them. They will promote themselves as a local company everywhere they sell cars, while caring about nobody and nothing except maximizing executive compensation, just as they have always done.