1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fully Functional Bluetooth Phone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Masoud, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Masoud

Masoud New Member

Have you got a blue tooth phone that has full functionalaty with the Prius?? Which phone is it. Please tell me, full model number and details.. The ones in the list attached are not that good and not available

2. GKarschnick

GKarschnick New Member

Re: Phone

I have the new Motorola V3 Razr and so far it's been fine. I transferred the phone book over from my previous Motorola V600 so the names are still reversed. I don't know if that would happen if I had uploaded from the razr, but I am too lazy to erase all and start over.

3. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masoud\";p=\"110039)</div>
    I use the Motorolla V551, it works well, my only gripes are: <1> The phone book has to be transferred one entry at a time and <2> The names are reverse "last, first" when displayed.

Oh yea, the 9 character restriction for name length sucks, but that's a Prius not a phone issue.

Sound quality is great, bluetooth handshake is rock solid. I'm very content with this phone.

4. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

After the latest ROM update, the Sprint Treo 650 seems to be fully functional with Prius car kit. It's a bit pricey but we enjoy having all the PDA functions combined with the phone. You might mention which carrier you prefer since bluetooth functionality is sometimes dependent on the wireless carrier.

5. Masoud

Masoud New Member

Thanks guys. I will test these phones. JRFARIS does your Treo need to be registered with the Prius every time you enter the car ??

6. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

No. The Prius will connect with it automatically if the Treo is turned on. Actually, the original Treo was my wife's and I just got one myself. So we do have a minor problem. The Prius will only link with one phone at a time although you can have up to 4 phones "paired" with the car kit. So, it turns out you have to select which phone you want to use. If my wife's phone is the "selected" phone, then the connection fails when I borrow "her" car. I have to manually select my phone to get it to connect. Then I have to remember to re-select her phone so she connects automatically when she gets back in the car. Just a minor inconvenience......

7. Masoud

Masoud New Member

Thanks JRFARIS, do you have any other issues with it? Does the address book transfer properly or do you have name reversal and character problems like the ones mentioned by Phill above ?? Which version ROM update did you do?

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any Nokia with Bluetooth will work well... I use a 6230.

9. Masoud

Masoud New Member

Hi Oly,

Does the address book transfer properly or do you have name reversal and character problems like the ones mentioned by Phill above ??

10. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I don't have any issues between Treo & Prius. I've done the latest Sprint Treo ROM update (1.12) and that seemed to fix the few problems it had previously. The biggest issue was dropping a call when a new call came in and Treo went to Call Waiting. That seems to be fixed by 1.12 but I don't get enough calls to know if the call transition is truly useful. Regarding contacts, Treo allows you to transfer an entire category or a single contact. Since Prius can only associate a single number with each name, I created a Prius category that had unique names for each number I wanted. Then just transferred the whole category to Prius. Before transfer, I had to manually edit out the ()- characters that Outlook likes to put in because Prius won't accept them. That's about it.

11. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Masoud -

I have not had character problems when transferring the phone book, however, transferring the phone book is a real pain.

The Bluetooth connection works well, but the feature of the Phonebook in the Prius is... well, not so good.

I have had problems with transferring the phonebook, but I don't care much about it... I can still make and receive calls... so...

12. Carl

Carl New Member

Sprint PCS version of the Treo 650. It came with the latest software already installed (1.12), and I've had no problem at all pairing it with my '05 Prius. I believe that it uses whatever ringtone I've selected for the phone. (I wonder if the car would ring if the phone was set on "silent"?)

As for the phonebook... I use Palm Desktop... I created a new category with one number per name and uploaded that category. I found that parenthesis ")(" created a bunch of vertical lines, but the dash "-" did not.

13. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

Has anybody tried to connect Prius with the Samsung i730 from Verizon, or any other Verizon Bluetooth pda phone (e.g. Treo 650 CDMA)? I know that Verizon modifies the Bluetooth functions (much to everybody's irritation!), but there were statements when the i730 came out that most of the Bluetooth functions (inlcluding some OBEX functionality) were enabled.

14. tag

tag Senior Member

Here's what someone on Phonescoop had to say about the i730 and his RX 330:

...The I730 works amazing with the Lexus. When I hit send phonebook on the lexus screen, you can take the I730 and Highlight all the names and hit send. The I730 sent all the names in no time over bluetooth and it was great....

Needless to say, the Prius and RX 330 have the same OEM BT car kit (Denso). Thus, the i730 should have the same functionality and sounds like it's worth a shot, assuming you can deal with the price (around 600 bucks with a two year contract).

15. drummermom

drummermom New Member

I use the Motorola V551 and have not been able to transfer the phone book at all. I have tried the one at a time - but keep getting a busy message. My signal is full strength, so I'm not sure what is going on. Letstalk tells me they just sell the phones, they don't support them, and it's a toyota problem anyway. I guess I'll just have to live without a phone book, unless anyone has any suggestions? My neighbor has the Lexus hybrid, and she can't transfer her phonebook either on her cellphone, so we were thinking of getting a used phone that would work solely for the purpose of phonebook transfer and splitting the cost. Thanks for any help.

16. Masoud

Masoud New Member

I just got an i-mate phone/pda for a work phone, has anyone had any problems with this phone and Prius ?