1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fumes in garage that smell like gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mel Malinowski, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Mel Malinowski

Mel Malinowski Junior Member

Our 2006 Prius recently is making our garage smell like gasoline or something. There is an open window in the garage, so a little smell shouldn't cause this. Strong enough it makes us nervous about switching on lights.

I can imagine a problem with the fuel system, or with the catalytic converter. It seems to only occur after being driven, left there overnight.

Anyone else experiencing something like this? We're still under extended warranty, and get regular service.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius (2006) never makes any smells. The only exception is after a long mountian pass drive and the friction brakes smell hot like every other car.

Did this only start happening after your last refill, or gradually getting worse, or??? Is your gas cap on fully, you make sure it "clicked" once after tightening?

This is in stark contrast to one of my other cars that has a venting fuel tank and the fuel just evaporates into the air when it sits. A night in the garage and the whole things smells like a gas station. :)

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Got a lawn mower, gas can, weed eater, or another car in the garage? I can't imagine a fuel leak in the ultra-finicky Gen II not causing codes for EVAP problems etc.

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you think the gas smell is coming from the Prius, definitely move it out of the garage and away from the house. After a day or so, check to see if the gasoline smell is still present. If the smell has gone, take the car to the dealer to check for the source of a gas leak. If the smell is still there, you obviously have some other gas operated equipment stored in the garage.

1 person likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This requires immediate attention. I agree with the suggestion to park the car outside away from anything valuable, while you determine the source of the gasoline smell.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur!!
    You could have a fuel line that's weeping, or some other malady with the car that's not causing it to throw codes at you.
    Doesn't matter.
    You really need to investigate where the gas smell is coming from aggressively, until you run it to ground. Park outside until you figure it out....especially if your garage is attached to your house.
    You may also want to review your homeowner's insurance to make sure that your premiums are paid in full.
    If you can smell gas, then there are fumes cruising around looking for an ignition source.
    You don't smoke---do you?

Good Luck!

7. Mel Malinowski

Mel Malinowski Junior Member

Gas cap on tight, correct. This only happens when car is in garage, after being driven, so it's likely the car.

It has diminished today. I suppose I'll have the dealer check the fuel system and also the catalytic converter. I'm quite aware of the explosion risk--when I first smelled it strong, I manually raised the garage door to air it out rather than run the opener or turn on a light.

I'll post the dealer's diagnosis here eventually.

Thanks for the comments, all...

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What ETC said.

Gas fumes would scare the hell out of me.

Have you or wife overfilled the car recently? Filling the overfill capture shroud which tends to contaminate the tank. It usually
    throws a check engine light.
    Open the gas door and smell in there with gas cap closed. Should not smell at all..