1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fumoto oil valve

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pbrachman, Apr 15, 2007.

1. pbrachman

pbrachman New Member

Based on previous posts am thinking about installing a Fumtoto oil valve. Wonder if the dealer will have problems with that when I take it in for more extended service care though?

2. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

And my question about the valve is has anyone had one knocked off or damaged? I guess they are made of brass which is a pretty soft material and I would worry about a blow that could cause it to leak, or worse yet, lose all the oil in a hurry.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The location is pretty well protected as it's not at the lowest point under the ICE. I guess it's always possible it could be damaged, but anything that would damage it would have to tear up a lot of other stuff at the same time.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had mine on for over 3 years with no troubles at the dealers or elsewhere. It works great and is well made. Similar valves have been in use for years and the dealers are familar with them.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a Fumoto oil valve on my Toyota Pickup. I have had it on there for a few years without any issues. It makes changing the oil much easier because using a short piece of tubing, I can drain the oil directly into an empty plastic bottle for recycling.

There is a remote possibility that it could get damaged by something hitting it. Of course, there is a remote possibility that the Earth could be obliterated by an asteroid.

6. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

:p Okay, you all have talked me into it. I've ordered one for the Prius and one for our other car, a 2001 Avalon.

7. rob_md

rob_md New Member

I have one sitting waiting on my next oil change. Looking forward to using it for the first time -- a long time from now. Oh well. B)

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I have had mine for two oil changes now and at first I was disappointed about how long it took to drain. However, now I just put a jug under it, flip the safety catch valve and go inside.

The other tip I read on Priuschat was to buy a one liter bottle of soda and cut off the top slip the bottle over the oil filter and turn it so it pops off and falls into the bottle. No mess.

Now my oil changes go something like this.

1. Drive to the store and pick up a 1 liter soda.

2. Drive home, put container under valve and start draining.

3. Go inside and make a sandwich.

4. Explain to my wife I will be outside changing the oil.

5. Lay in the hammock and enjoy sandwich and soda.

6. When done cut the soda bottle and remove the oil filter.

7. Shut off valve install new filter, fill with oil, drive old oil to recycler.

8. Return home and announce "Well I've changed the oil...what have you been doing?" :lol:

9. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Apr 17 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]424887[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol:

I have one too, quietly waiting in my toolbox for its time to shine.