1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Funky burning plastic smell

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Astrodeb, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Astrodeb

Astrodeb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi folks,

I just picked up my 2010 IV this week and drove it up one of the steep Sierra canyon roads for a joy ride. Upon reaching the top at nearly 10,000 ft (all the way in PWR mode), I smelled a "burning plastic" odor inside the cabin. It dissipated in a short period of time, and I haven't smelled it since then. Has anyone else had this experience in a 2010 Prius?

2. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very likely it was some sound deadener/undercoat material applied either at the factory or port, burning off hot surfaces under the hood and along the tailpipe with your first long drive.

3. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Only smell I had was the new car/engine smell when hot. I would just check under the hood, check your Oil level, and make sure all your fluids look good.

I don't think you have any issue, but a quick once over would be a good idea. I am sure it's all the newness breaking in smell...
    Climbing to that elev puts a bigger drain on the engine thus more heat. New Brakes etc.....You stated it was just picked up days ago,
    so just keep an eye and do a engine visual and check fluids just to be safe and peace of mind. ;)

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have had the same kind of thing happen to me with another new Toyota (non-hybrid). Turned out to be paint getting hot (baked in) in areas on the engine and around the exhaust system. No problem.

I wouldn't worry about it, just keep your eye open for a warning light and shut it down it you get one. As Bob suggested check the fluid levels, oil and both coolant systems.

5. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same thing happen to me a while back and it dissipated quickly. I checked things and everything seemed fine. I'm not sure what it was, but it did not last long and has not reoccurred.

6. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had this occur twice now climbing from 5900' to 7000' in power mode (car will be a month old on 27th) in about 7 miles. When I stop the car I get that faint smell in the cabin that I correlate with overheating or overheated brakes. I keep checking to make sure my parking brake is really turned off. Smell dissipates quickly and does come from engine (checked tonight). No warning lights.

Another Prius owner asked if I had noticed this with my 2006 and I said no. She said she had noticed it with her 2007 during the break in period. I'll check with the Service Department tomorrow just to be extra sure. Note: I've only drive about 260 miles in town because I am still waiting for the clear bra to be installed prior to driving any distance.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure it's not antifreeze? Almost all engines seem to weep a
    tiny bit of antifreeze smell when under really high speed/load.
    If you're willing to remove your cowl, check around the exhaust
    header and cat-pipe for anything charred, though...
    _H*