1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Funny noise at startup

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Taxi/Limo, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I turned on my 2010 Prius with 67k and heard what sounded similar to playing cards in the spokes of a bike but lower pitch coming from what sounded like the front left portion of the car it sounded serious

I just read a post of what seems like a similar thing ( I think ) happening with another member and I may need to install an oil catch can OCC so gunk won't build up in my cylinder head?

An OCC should fix the problem I hope

Here are my questions
    Where can I get a good one ?
    How can I get the buildup out of my cylinder head that is already there?

Thanks

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It probably is the rattle / shake phenomenon :(.

I installed an oil catch can that I bought on Amazon. I placed the can on the front cross member below the intake manifold:

E9EBCB76-5B4F-4A67-9F0A-41DBA558CECA.jpeg 29F6A496-2072-4E42-84B1-99AEE112BA2E.jpeg

I placed the catch can in an old tin can and zip tied it to the cross member;).

I also bought a second PCV valve hose, as I split the old one in 2 for the install:

1A1A0320-FA68-47A5-B16D-D8C6047B1FE5.jpeg

So far have ~5 k miles and haven’t dumped the catch can yet. I check the level through the oil catch can dipstick, and it is hanging out around 1/8 of an inch :).

So I have $50 into this particular mod (y).

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I noticed my engine shaking on start up after I left the car in the garage for a week without driving. It’s normal, I’m not too sure what it is, but maybe if I install an occ, I wonder if the symptom will return. It’s driving normal so yeah.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    i bought one for 11 bucks on ebay and so far no more knocks.didnt have to cut any hoses just bought a connector

M K likes this.